London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
21 to 26 of 26 messages
18/01/2014 at 13:59

I planted a red robin against a shady fench a couple of years ago . It had been trained to fan out against a bamboo trellis .  Since then a number of the branches the leaves have gone brown and crispy . I pruned them back but I am still loosing leaves and branches .  I have a well established tree which must be at least 20 yearsold planted in a sunny spot and that survives anything . Should I move the sick  shrub  or maybe feed it ? 

18/01/2014 at 14:21

Hiya janie

Just wait a while.  It might recover.  No dont feed it right now.

I would wait Until the spring and see if it shoots.  If it does remove dead stuff and feed it then.  if not then remove it.  I,would not replant with another photinia there.

Photinias do get diseases ....like anything can.....and I lost one to a form of phytophthora.  Rather than plant another shrub there I have a dahlia (bishop of llandaff) growing instead.  

09/05/2014 at 00:18

I have a big photonics that has grown into a 15 foot tree. Last Year I lopped the top off back to about 8 feet, but it's much too wide. It only has leaves on the last foot or so of each branch. How hard can I prune it? I assume I have to leave some leaves but I'd like to take off as much as possible.

09/05/2014 at 00:24

...I think you can hard prune these...I used to cut mine back quite hard into old wood,  about June time.... top and sides... I don't have one currently so I'm going back a bit... but it recovered soon enough....as I recall....

09/05/2014 at 00:38

Thanks Salino. In another thread someone has suggested cutting back to old wood on some of the branches and waiting for them to shoot before attacking the others. I assume it needs some leaves to survive!

06/06/2014 at 22:33

I also need some help please - I have 3 fairly  large standard photinias. , 1 looks healthy and the other two very thin. there are lots of leaves dropping off and they are new leaves. I have googled it and am not sure whether I need to give it lots of water or not water it (as one piece I read said they don't like their roots water logged) I am at a loss what to do. I wanted them to be big and bushy to hide the neighbours view into my garden. Do I water and feed with growmore (I also read that somewhere) I am anxious to prune it ......I am at a loss and  new to gardening......although I have got the gardening bug....your help and advice would be much appreciated

email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages