London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
19 messages
05/08/2013 at 21:11

Hi, I tried to grow this last year without a lot of luck, just a few short straggly plants but this year they are doing brilliant, have around 15 x3ft high stalks with between 3-5 lanterns on them, which are all green - do you know when they will change colour and can be harvested - they are in a cold greenhouse. thanks, Tony.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28831.jpg?width=800&height=350&mode=max

05/08/2013 at 21:15

I'm expecting mine to go brown with an orange fruit as I've seen n the shops but it seems a slow process. Tomatoes are ripening round them and the physalis have looked the same for ages. It's my first try.

05/08/2013 at 21:59

They seem to turn in a sudden rush for me. One day all green, the next orange and then a few days later papery brown. The Duke of Rutland's pheasants usually get to them before I do.

I hope you have those plants well contained within your flowerbed. They spread underground like wildfire. I even found them coming up between the paving. A bit of a thug is our old physalis.

05/08/2013 at 22:04

do they spread wb? I thought they were annuals. Mine are in pots so they won't take over the world

05/08/2013 at 22:06

looked them up. they're tender perennials.

05/08/2013 at 22:19

There ia an ornamental one that is hardy and spreads like the clappers. Looks the

same but the fruit isn't edble.

05/08/2013 at 22:28

I've got that one addict and until this year it has spread like mad. this year it's shrunk and hardly any flowers.

05/08/2013 at 22:35

I was told to plant mine in a shadier area to slow down the spread and it seems to have worked.  I have a very shady area at the side of the house where I don't mind too much rampancy - although I have to rip out periwinkle every year - it's like a triffid.   I think it will be another couple of weeks at least before my physalis are orange but they are  a lovely shape at the moment. 

addict wrote (see)

There ia an ornamental one that is hardy and spreads like the clappers. Looks the same but the fruit isn't edble.

I think I have the ornamental one

05/08/2013 at 22:48

I'm totally confused now. I got edible ones in a bag from a friend. Put some out for the birds and got the rampant thugs as mentioned above. They are growing at 600 feet above sea level, have been for several years, produce edible fruit (when I can wrest it from the pheasants) and are taking over the flowerbed.

I'd keep an eye on them and don't trust them.  There are waiting for world domination...

05/08/2013 at 23:11

Then count yourself lucky Waterbutts lol I wouldn't mind a rampant one if I could eat it!

05/08/2013 at 23:20

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/physalis-edulis/2407.html

this is what I'm growing to eat and what I thought the original post was about

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/physalis-alkekengi-var-franchetii/classid.3446/

this is chinese lanterns which i don't eat but maybe you can

05/08/2013 at 23:34

confusion! Mine don't have scurfy leaves like the physalis edulis photo and they don't look as decorative as alkekengi, or give me a stomach upset as claimed for that one.

They look like tony williams2's photo - bright green, smooth leaves and orange lanterns that don't stay orange but end up semi transparent and papery.

I honestly regret putting them out for the birds. If i'd known they would take over like that.

05/08/2013 at 23:44

a photo of your plants is needed wb

06/08/2013 at 00:06

wb mine look more like Tony's than the ones in my link but they came from a packet called Physalis edulis

06/08/2013 at 09:12

Maybe that's what my pal gave me - I certainly hope she wasn't trying to do me in! They are nice to eat, but not something I would go out of my way for.

As for photos, the last time I took a photo was in about 1976 and I've never tried with a digital camera. I'm utterly hopeless with computers - put on this one like a three year old on a tricycle - and as for posting something (especially with the forum in meltdown) - I think waterbutts would burst a gasket.

06/08/2013 at 09:14

I'm not impresses with taste of the ones you buy. A bit like earth. But I was given the packet of seeds. And I have to sow seeds. They need more water than tomatoes, won't bother again

06/08/2013 at 09:38

There is a very closely related plant the tomatillo which produces fruit for salsas.  This will never ripen to orange, suitable for dessert.  Tony Williams doesn't say exactly which variety he's growing.

06/08/2013 at 11:44

Hi all,the variety is Physalis peruviana common name Cape gooseberry. I didnt know id planted a monster,it looks nice but it is spreading one good harvest and then off with its head ! Thanks for all your help.

06/08/2013 at 13:28

You're OK, it will ripen eventually.

email image
19 messages