London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
5 messages
17/04/2013 at 11:57

Hello, I picked up a young Peiris, forest flame, in wilkinsons the other week, just because it looked so nice, with it's white flowers and green and red foliage.

I had I thought I might plant it in one of the northernmost corners of my garden, which have yet to get any direct sun this year due to the 5ft fence. I think it is supposed to be in full sun/part shade, but I wondered whether in practice anyone has experience of growing them in shade?

17/04/2013 at 13:40
It's an acid lover paper flowers.....I guess you knew anyway.
The emerging colourful leaves are easily scorched in sun....worse, when they change to cream, before turning green, they cannot resist the sun at all.
I grow a couple of varieties...both in dappled shade.
This means in the lee of taller plants to protect from sun..a tall grass for example.
They are great in pots but need reasonable moisture
In total shade I think the colourful leaves would be less dramatic.
17/04/2013 at 14:24

I had no idead about acid, I'm a complete novice! I just picked it up because it's a lovely plant

I don't have any dappled shade yet. At 20cm, it's one of the tallest of my growing collection of very young shrubs in pots. Perhaps I'll leave it in a pot for the time being and see how things develop...

17/04/2013 at 18:31
Paperflowers,
It's lovely plant.
Good plan to keep in pot for a while but take into account it's growing requirements.
18/04/2013 at 15:32

I have pieris growing in my front garden and it's not in acid soil and it does very well.   Mine is in almost full sun and it seems to be quite happy there.  Maybe in acid soil it would do better - i don't know - but i don't believe acid soil is absolutely essential.

email image
5 messages