Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant care

Hi all,

I'm back again need some help with a couple of plants pruning etc, the first pic is a butterflyhydrangea  the second is sanbucus (black lace)

• Many thanks I'm still learning so it's nice to know there is help around

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I don't cut my hydrangea back until mid March at least. the only year I pruned early, the March frost got the tips and I had to prune again.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thank you Lynn good point as we haven't had a real frost yet think I will wait a bit

• Argh! Did my hydrangea today and felt quite proud of myself! I'll have to hope it continues mild.

• Not sure if this Pinterest link works on here, but it shows where to prune it: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/226235581255403565/

• Yes I hope it does for your sake fingers crossed

• Sorry my last response was sent before I saw your second text

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 300

Depends on how sheltered they are I think.  I can prune mine any time as it (I only have the one) has its back to the fence and, although faces north, is somewhat tucked back and is protected by the hebe.  Even so, I tend to leave it until beginning of March when I do the roses and other pruning - though I have done my buddleja today!