Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant Confirmation please

I took this photo from the walled garden at Culzean Castle, South Ayrshire the other week and would like to know if it definatley a MONARDA. There were no plant labels in any of the beds there...tsk.

A very unusual flower, but I like it. Quite striking.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Yes it's a Monarda most probably Cambridge Scarlet variety

Beautiful plants they are too.

• Thank you Leggi. I will need to acquire this now for my borders.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

No problem James. I have one growing in a pot in my garden, apparently it self seeds quite a lot (this is my first year of having one so I can't confirm that yet). Just be aware of that when you put it in and of course where you put it too.

Personally I'm all for plants that produce lots of seedlings, and don't mind digging things out and potting them up if they pop up in odd places.

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,540
    The bees love Monarda, I love Culzean Castle, but haven't been for a while.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

There are some newer varieties which are mildew resistant http://www.specialperennials.com/Other_Perennials/Plant_List_Monarda.htm

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks to all for your information. I have a few more pics of plants to place onhere but I am busy preparing for 4 local shows in the coming week !  Busy time of year this, but I love it!