Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant cuttings?

Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

what plants can I take cuttings of now?

Hampshire Gardener

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

You can split/move herbaceous plants now though, providing your soil is workable.

If you've any pelargoniums that you've over-wintered, then they could provide you with cutting material about now.

If you took fuschia cuttings last season, they are sometimes now big enough to provide you with more cuttings & thus effectively pinching out the parent plant (last yrs cutting) at the same time. Ditto penstemons & verbena bonariensis.

Remember that any cuttings of those plants taken now will still need total protection from the present weather. J.

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

verbena bonariensis how do you take cuttings of that I have that one?

Hampshire Gardener
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I took my cuttings last October, they're cut down now, but if yours aren't, all I did was pull off the little shoots from the side of the main stem and popped them in sandy soil.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058
    Gardengirl.. wrote (see)

verbena bonariensis how do you take cuttings of that I have that one?

If you referring to your plant in the garden, then now is not the right time to try cuttings off what is probably by now a dying back stem.

If yop took cuttings last summer/autumn, then they could already be producing side shoots which are this yrs cutting material- as Lyn said. Job for me over the next couple of weeks. image J.

Thanks Lyn I still have the long stems from last year only brought it last year not sure when to cut it down, I will try cuttings.

Do you know if I can take cuttings of euonymus gold?

Hampshire Gardener
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi Gardengirl. The evergreen euonymus is easy from cuttings. If I can do it it must be easy. Later in the summer, heel cutting, stick them in a pot. I have stuck them straight in the ground but with less success.

Re the verbena. Those long stems have never been alive at the end of winter for me and just get cut off when I get round to it.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • You have to wait until the plant is in growth to take stem cuttings, from new stems. If it is an established clump, it can be dug up in early spring, cut into four and the divisions replanted.

Thanks for that nutcutlet and gardening grandma and verdun

what is the self layered cuttings?

Hampshire Gardener
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Self layered cuttings are where a stem has grown along the ground and rooted. Purple sage does it very often and I found 3 layered stems of Aucuba 'Rozanni' at the end of last year and potted them up. Easiest propagation there is with no effort from us. But you can pin a stem down and do it deliberately.

In the sticks near Peterborough