Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

plant feed cherry laurel

mrppmrpp Posts: 25

I wanted to put some chicken manure pellets around newly tranplanted laurel (from pots) i see it says "

• Poultry manure should not be used around ericaceous (acid-loving) plants"
  • so should i avoid this? maybe use Westland Sulphate of Iron Ericaceous Plant Food  

• Cherry laurels grow in alkaline to acidic soils so I would just use the chicken manure pellets

• mrppmrpp Posts: 25

so they are not classed as ericaceous .

i guess that is why my laurelin front garden have done well and my Rhododendron in back garden have not done well obviously don't have acidic soil .

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I planted whole long hedge of these over two years ago, apart from a bit of bonemeal and homemade compost down the holes, they have had nothing else. They will grow anywhere, no need to fuss them. They are 5ft tall and more now, and they have been constantly nipped out. You will need to keep them cut down or they will get leggy and not fill out from the bottom. As soon as they are planted, cut at least 2 inches of the tops, that will kick start them into growing.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

The ones in front garden grew well like you say i just planted and left alone, the ones i bought this year and planted looked a little below par so i just want to give them a good start.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

They do need to make root before they start making top growth, maybe wait till Spring now and see how they look by then. I am not sure about feeding now as they are getting ready for dormancy. Feed will confuse them.

I wonder if you bought plants that were a bit tall, they take longer to get established. I am sure they will be just fine.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

These were potted plants in 20 litre pots about 1m tall but quite bushy ones multi stem.

Are those in picture staggered when planting or is that just a line of laurel? looks very bushy.

They got delivered a day before a long weekend away so i gave a good watering in pots without first thinking to see if they were already well watered or dry. so no way of now knowing if they were over or under watered before i got them.

• Don't use poultry manure this time of year, it's high nitrogen & will create lots of soft growth which is not what you want this time of year. Use some bone meal in the planting hole as this will encourage root development. You could use a general pupose balenced feed, something like blood, fish & bone would be ok or growmore.