Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant I-D

Hi all while i was out digging today i am across these two plants growing by the side of my fence not sure what they are or where they came from i have dug them up and put them in my rockery boarder just in case they are worth keeping.

Plant-1

Plant-2

plant 2 has little purple flowers sprouting and the roots are like tubes any help is appreciated thanks image

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

not sure but looks like herb Robert which has a bit smell to it as you pull it up and grows everywhere (weed) little pink flowers but then it looks like dianthus bleeding hearts in fact I think am  wrong.

• Thanks for replying flowering rose I have looked at imagies of both herb robert and dianthus I am still none the wiser lol the leaves and stems look very simular on both I am leaning more to the herb robert but will need to wait for the flower to fully bloom to see if it opens up like herb robert or dangles like the dianthus hopefully others might be able to confirm.Plant 1 I am struggling to find any images to match but still searching thanks again image
  • DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

I agree. The first one is an Astilbe. Sorry don't know the second but someone will...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

The first one could well be Astilbe image

The second one is familiar but my brain is addled by Saharan Dust - it's not a weed, I do know that much, so look after it and someone will come along and identify it.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

The second one looks like an anemone, not sure which one. 

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

The top one might be an Actaea.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think the second could be a dicentra but not the big bleeding heart.

D. eximia or formosa or one of the hybrids. If it is it's not one for a hot dry rockery

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=651

Not necessarily this one but that sort of thing

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks all I will compare image's to the first one with the identifications given, Thanks Dove glad it's not a weed and glad I decided to save them image
  • Thanks for that nut will I be ok to put it in a big flower pot till my boarders are done ?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I should think so Mikey, I had some in pots all last summer because I didn't get round to planting out. Keep it in the shade

Ditto the first, astilbe or actaea, they don't do hot and dry

In the sticks near Peterborough