1 to 20 of 22 messages
31/07/2014 at 00:02

Saw this plant, the one with long, drooping stalks and conical-shaped pink flowers in the botanical gardens near me. It's sooo pretty, would love to know what it was.

Anyone got a coveted plant they wold love to have but don't/can't?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/54385.jpg?width=284&height=350&mode=max

31/07/2014 at 00:33

Melanie, the plant in your picture is Dierama, also known as Angels fishing rod.

I don't know which variety though.

31/07/2014 at 07:20
Id love a border planted in the prarie style, but ive given up all suitable space for veggies! , you cant have everything
31/07/2014 at 07:35

I had those Angels fishing rods by my pond and it was so pretty but I'm afraid they are not long lived and it eventually vanished .

31/07/2014 at 07:42

I grew it once, and , as Forester2 says, it didn't last long with me either.

I understand it's pretty easy from seed, but these are likely to be very variable and not come true to the parent.

31/07/2014 at 07:48
They are very pretty and delicate, a little too delicate for my garden i think!

I want a granny smith apple tree
31/07/2014 at 08:16

Dieramas are not "delicate" at all. .....they are tough plants.  I have Guinevere,  a lovely pure white form.  Flowered for few weeks.  Don't think they are short loved either.  Next to a pool they are superb. In isolation too they are impressive 

A plant I would,love to have is Acer aureum.  Too near the coast, too sunny and too bright here for it.  

31/07/2014 at 08:17

I've just bought a tiny dierama for my new pink border to try and detract from a snowberry stump which I am trying to stop re growing. 

If I had 4 metres spare () and slightly acidic soil, I'd get a giant fern. 

31/07/2014 at 08:20
There is hope then verdun? I may try one
31/07/2014 at 08:20

Neutral soil will be ok for tree fern.  They grow all over the place down here in acid and alkaline soils

31/07/2014 at 08:23

Really? I have neutral soil. Still can't really justify it though- I could fit at least 20 plants in that space and I'd have to dig up my drive to accommodate it

31/07/2014 at 08:25

In a garden open to the public here in Dublin there is a wonderful planting on a big scale of a good definite pink dierama growing through a lime green fennel or dill. Purely inspired combination. 

31/07/2014 at 08:38
Vic, tree ferns are amazing, ive never managed to keep one alive! Id try a small one first
31/07/2014 at 08:46

I have, over recent years, jumped at the opportunities to remove old shrubs/conifers to enable fresh perennial plantImg.  Initially,,when creating a garden, shrubs fill spaces so well but soon we realise how "static" they can be.  Removing a single conifer last autumn enabled me to plant up a far more interesting, even exciting (for me) bed with all year round Interest.  

So, your "dream" plant may not be as exciting as ??ou imagine it to be.  Maybe a number of (cheaper) less ambitious plants is better ...?

31/07/2014 at 09:03

I have this idea of lush green planting, I think inspired from visits to New Zealand.

In my small suburban garden though, my shade is entirely dependent on my neighbours keeping their tall conifer hedge along my south boundary so it would be risky at best.

I bought myself a shuttlecock fern instead - entirely more practical

31/07/2014 at 09:09
I agree with you Verdun, ive gone off many plants, or simply forgotten about them
31/07/2014 at 10:59

i thought shiasta daisies were fab a few years back, but they turned out to be a bloody nuisance. they grow too big, flop and seed everywhere. i  am now going for shorter versions of plants that i love. no more giant perennials for me, i am afraid. 

31/07/2014 at 11:20

Dierama prefer free draining soil. In wet or clay soils they may rot in winter.

Great Dixter used to have a load self seeding in the cracks in paving. I have never had them self seeding but my clump has lasted a long time. Unfortunately it is infested with a perennial weed I cant get out, so I may start again from scratch.

31/07/2014 at 13:33

I have a dierama next to my pond and it has self seeded into the gravel. Tough as old boots - has come through those really bad winters a couple of years ago when it spent 2 months under snow. I have the large pinky one (pulcherimum) and a smaller growing orangier one.

I would like a tree fern but too cold and wet here for it. Tree ferns grow in NZ don't they so the climate is fairly similar. Don't know why they don't like it here.

31/07/2014 at 13:38

When I visited stone cottage she had loads of Angels Fishing Rod, she said in very harsh winters it set them back but they always recovered if she left them alone.  Ive planted one this year but it is only a baby so fingers crossed.

1 to 20 of 22 messages