Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID - probably a weed or wildflower

pariatepariate Posts: 77
Click to view larger image.  The flowers are about 1.5cm by 1cm.  

This was growing in a pot which previously held my little pear tree.  The pot (still full of soil) was sitting in a corner of the garden and this little flower has popped up.  It's evidently been growing for some time now, it's fairly well established!  I thought it was very pretty so have moved it into a little pot of its own.  I wonder if the bees will show any interest in it?

My interweb searches haven't thrown any light on this.  I've tried searching various terms.  Having said that I am not an experienced gardener so I think half the time I don't know what questions to ask!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Have a look at violets.

But  there's something else in there as well. Can you take a photo from the other side?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Viola, depending on the size of the flowers, it could be V. riviniana, the common Dog Violet, or less likely Viola odirata, Sweet violet. The leaves look a bit smooth for the latter though.

• Looks like a dog violet to me, I have loads of these in flower in the garden at the moment... looks brilliant.

• pariatepariate Posts: 77

Thank you!  I checked these and it looks most like the Dog Violet.  The flowers are so pretty.  image

• I think they are very pretty to. I have lots in my lawn, I've mowed around them. Looks like a meadow filled with blue/purple.. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I wouldn't be without a violet. Not much chance of that happening here thoughimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Same here, a lovely wild flower to have taking over the garden. image