London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
8 messages
02/06/2014 at 10:24
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47828.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47821.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47819.jpg?width=350

I have been gifted a number of leftover plants from a lovely local business and I didn't ask what this particular one is.  Can anyone id it for me?   I'll have to re-pot it quickly as it's very weak where the stalk meets the roots so I'm not entirely sure it's going to survive well whatever it is.  When you crush a leaf it has a smell but I'm not able to describe it.  May just be a leaf smell.  The weight of the foliage is causing the stem a bit of stress so I'll need to pot it deeper up the stem.  The stem itself has a similar frailty to a  begonia stem and not a robust shrub like stem at the moment.  Maybe it will change?

Also, this morning found this bug which I found on a web search to be a Green Shield Bug.  I'm assuming it's the most common Green Shield Bug and not the one described as recently coming over from other European countries.  I found the cheeky thing on one of two buds which luckily have appeared on a transplanted peony which I was really pleased actually took off and produced two buds this year.  (Blimey they take weeks to swell and open - still waiting).  This bug was not for moving and it took several finger flicks to ping it away.  It does seem to have broken through the bud and made a huge hole in a leaf directly below it.  It's an interesting looking bug but I'm assuming it's one of the bad guys?

(I haven't figured out how to put text underneath a photo instead of the text appearing underneath both pictures).

Thanks for any comments.

02/06/2014 at 10:37

Looks like one of the Choysia's. As for sheild bugs they aren't  significant pests for most gardeners.

02/06/2014 at 10:41

That one might be a hawthorn shield bug

02/06/2014 at 10:47

We love shield bugs   Great excitement in the garden when one of us finds one 

I wouldn't plant the Choisya too deep - it might make the problem worse rather than better - I'd find a way to support the plant instead.

02/06/2014 at 10:49

Thanks Dave.  I wondered if it was a very very young Sundance.  The stem is very frail and juicy so I'll have to be careful re-potting as it looks as if the top heavy foliage is in danger of snapping and come away from the roots. 

Thanks for comment on the bug nutcutlet.  It's stunningly bright and was absolutely still for a very long time.  I'd never seen one before but I was desperate to get it away from my only chance of having a couple of peony flowers this year.  Then again, it might be best for the peony if I'd chopped the buds off this year and let it not flower until next year. 

02/06/2014 at 11:00

If it's a Green Shield bug can you buy it with Green Shield Stamps?

(Now, who remembers those? C'mon - show your age!)
02/06/2014 at 11:11

Har har Steve, I remember them!

02/06/2014 at 11:34

I agree the shrub looks like a Choisya: the bug looks like a capsid bug - unlikely to do any great harm in the garden, they are sap suckers not predators and if you squash them you will have a nasty niff on your hands - literally!

email image
8 messages