Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant id and rescue plans

blackestblackest Posts: 623

Hi got a few shrubs and a creeper that are getting moved or killed i'd like to see if I can save some of these plants or divide them or something.

This i think is a weed a creeper of some kind

this is a dead something

exhibit C

exhibit D popular with the dog probably why it is so damaged

This one looks in good shape but again its going to have to move it is a bit big

again mostly dead any hope of rescue (exhibit f)

Finally this conifer can it stand to be planted any deeper? it seems to have lost its lower branches.

I am essentially after names and what i can do with them can i take cuttings divide or is it too late for some of them

thanks and have fun identifying them.

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

the editor ate the pictures so i'll up load them 1 by 1 (1/8)

2/8

3/8

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,540
    Not sure, but the first photo looking s like the creeping potentilla. It puts out runners and you will never get rid of it.

4/8

5/8

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

There only seem to be 3 photos so far. There's something funny going on with the photos on the site as when you click on them to enlarge them they don't enlarge and they have white bands top and bottom.

First one is cinquefoil, which is a creeping potentilla and a pain in the neck. It sends down really deep tap roots at intervals and is fairly resistant to weedkiller. Got it in my garden!image

Ex. C looks like a half dead thyme.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Yes, the first is creeping potentilla or cinquefoil - same family - weeds - remove. There are other varieties from this family that are gorgeous plants but these aren't them.

The next two look like dead heathers - pull them up, throw them on the bonfire - they'll burn well image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

It's a real shame about the small photos problem because I can't quite see them, but the 4th looks like thyme as well. What does it smell like if you crush a leaf?

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.