Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant id for Obxx

ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

This plant is about 75cms tall, has a purple tinge to its foliage in full sun and a bit more purple when in shade, with pale white flowers flushed with pale purple.   I've lost the label after moving it to a sunny position where it seems to be much happier.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
Plato

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's merged into the background a bit but I wonder about one of the penstemons

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    It's a penstemon one of the foxglove types
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Here's a photo with the background covered

and a close up of the leaves

I don't think it is a penstemon as it's flowers don't hang down and it survives my winters.   The only one that's ever done that is Ruby Glow which has narrower leaves and is in a sheltered spot.

"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato

Outside all winter for 4 years now.  Started in a semi shady spot but was crowded out and struggling so last spring (14) I moved it to full sun where it's very happy and full of bees too.

Plato

I've been fossicking around the T&M site this morning as they have a special offer on until tomorrow night and found seeds for my plant at only 99p - penstemon digitalis Huskers Red.  Bizarrely, they also have it under a Kew Plant Collectors' listing for £2.99.   No brainer.

Plato
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

It does look like Huskers Red to me. In shade they often lose the purple leaves.

My slight concern, like yours Obelixx, is the orientation of the flowers.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border

We'll see.  Here's the link to the offer - http://www.thompson-morgan.com/10for10-tne592z?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TNE592Z%20-%2010%20packets%20of%20seed%20for%2010%20(1)&utm_content=&pid=43183088& 

Not applicable outside the UK but they do have some seeds reduced to 99p so I got some bargains anyway.

Plato