Start a new thread

1 to 10 of 10 replies

Rob Stevens

I have a few of these appearing. The OH seems to think it's a weed, but I've been unable to identify it. Any ideas?

Thanks

BobTheGardener

It's definitely one of the Willowherbs, probably Broad-leaved or possibly Rosebay.  If you let it seed, it will pop-up everywhere!

Netherfield

Willow herb,it's a weed pull it out asap, grab hold as near to the ground as possible and the whole thing complete with roots should come out in one.

Take a look here-- WWW.theseedsite.co.uk/weeds4.html

The right hand picture  will help you  indentify it while still small and gets chance to flower and go to seed.

Rob Stevens

That's a shame, it's quite pretty!

OK, thanks very much for the help

Gracie5

If I have a pretty wildflower in the garden I leave it there, why would you want to get rid of it if you like it!!

Advertisement

FloBear

A weed is a flower in the wrong place,
according to poet Ian Emberson - and I agree with him!

Netherfield
FloBear wrote (see)

A weed is a flower in the wrong place,
according to poet Ian Emberson - and I agree with him!

Very true,but how many flowers do you want in the wrong place,this one can spread very rapidly

FloBear

Yes, you do have to be careful to know your flowers' little habits. I was given some pink Japanese anemones 20 years ago. They still pop up from time to time in the paving even though I have tried to get rid of them on many occasions

LORELEI
My Japanese Anemone is trying to take over the world !
Rob Stevens
Yeah, on closer examination there did appear to rather a lot of it. In some cases it was attempting to menace other plants, so it's been pretty seriously culled.
I'm all for the allowing pretty weeds in approach, but my garden isn't established enough to pull this off yet. It just looks like I'm really lazy with the weeding!