Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 20 replies

Jess is in the Garden

This was given to me as a tiny cutting last easter. It has been gradually building up leaves since then and hasn't yet flowered.

What is it?

Thank you 

gardenning granny

does look rather like some kind of stachys (lambs ears) though mine has more slender leaves and really silvery - but also ressembles my hawkbit (a garden thug with lovely red flowers, good ground cover and easy to remove the bits that spread too far) - or even the  centauria montana (an early cornflower with large heads) - why don't you ask whoever gave it to you?

Atilla

^^^that is what I though - lambs tongue.

Could be a Lychnis coronaria?  They are biennial so if it is one of these you can expect it to flower this year.

Advertisement

artjak

I don't think it's growing habit is quite like a Lychnis Coronaria...I think they are more compact at that height. I would go with stachys of some sort.

fidgetbones

I was thinking more like Centaurea montana.... blue perennial cornflower.

KEF

I think GardenG is right, not the Stachys with lilac flowers but the one with white flowers.

KEF

Not sure, now I think Fidget is right.

Fairygirl

My first thought was Lamb'sLugs/Ears too, just looks a little too fuzzy for Knapweed/Centaurea but I can see the similarity to that as well. 

nutcutlet

I have doubts about any of the plants mentioned so far but can't offer anything better

Fairygirl

Are you losing your touch nut?...

nutcutlet

Couldn't let it go. I've been out staring at Lychnis coronaria. It's much furrier than it was in my mind and my vote is for that

KEF

If that's what Nut says it is, not being one to change my mind, I think it's what Nut says, don't know but she gets my vote  

Well done H & A.

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Now we just wait and see what it looks like in June/July

Fairygirl

Oh nut - were we making you doubt yourself?  

I wasn't 100% sure that it was Stachys, although it had a look of it, but  I'm not overly familiar with Lychnis.

If nut says it's Lychnis....well, she's rarely wrong Jess! I'm off to google it now 

Jess is in the Garden

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to see how it behaves in June, nut!

I'm off to google Lychnis too now

I thought about Stachys, but throne I have already in the ground, is very silver compared to this one.

fidgetbones

I photographed these yesterday

Lychnis unflowered seedling

Lychnis older flowered plant

Stachys

Centaurea montana

Jess is in the Garden

Thanks fidget - you have quite an array! Can't ask the person who gave it to me, gardening granny, because she was an old lady who passed away.