London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
10 messages
12/04/2014 at 18:56

A lovely neighbour gave us this plant and at the time I had nowhere to stick it and it ended up in the scrubby patch we ironically call 'the front garden' (don't ask!)  But now I am developing 'out the back' and need tall plants for screening, I was thinking of moving it (probably in dormant season next autumn/winter) to somewhere it is needed, but I can't google it if I don't know what it is.  So any ideas and advice gratefully accepted guys!!

12/04/2014 at 19:05

It would have been far more intelligent to include the pictures.... It's been a long day.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42197.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42198.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

12/04/2014 at 19:11

Himalayan honeysuckle also known as Leycesteria formosa.

It will grow 5ft in fertile soil.

12/04/2014 at 19:15

If it's not put on too much new growth, you could cut it down and move it now with a big rootball.

Make sure you give it plenty of water through the next couple of months while it settles in.

12/04/2014 at 19:18

Fab pendulum flowers like eastern lanterns red and white with lovely red berries in the autumn....

12/04/2014 at 19:22

Really?  That is good to know - it's already taller than me and I'm 5'6".  It has some dark purple shrimp like flowers on it. It will be so much better put to use in the back garden plan.  I will post in more detail about the 'grand plan' in coming days, because although I can answer some questions from other gardeners quite competently, there's a billion things I don't know about gardening, and I am only just about to get to grips with real gardening on proper land and am entering and exciting but daunting new phase.  Thanks Fidget - I will be able to look it up now!!

12/04/2014 at 19:24

Stacey, yes maybe they were red and white!  There were one or two left over, and they are purple now - doesn't mean they were that colour when they first came out -whoops!

13/04/2014 at 04:49

the leycesteria should have brilliant yellow stems and leaves-looks like it needs to be cut back to the ground after new growth starts-youll lose the flowers but the plant will be much more ornamental- 

13/04/2014 at 06:11

If it's happy it will spread - by seed and/or by suckers - that's one of the reason it's often given as presents - there's lots of them to give and you'll be able to do that too!  So just keep an eye on it.  

Good for pollinating insects and the birds love the berries too. 

Looking forward to hearing about the Grand Plan 

13/04/2014 at 08:25

Thanks Dove and David.  I'm just hoping it will be as happy where I put it as it obviously is now.  At least now I know what it is I can look it up and see if there are any little tips about re-positioning it.  I might need lots of junior plants for myself - that is precisely the sort of gardening I am looking to get into!

email image
10 messages