Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID please

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I saw this this morning in a wood.  Any idea what it could be ?

thank you. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Arum maculatum, aka lords and ladies, jack in the pulpit and many others

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

thank you, dad said it was poisonous but couldn't remember the name. image

He's right Peanuts. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

When I was a child we knew it as Jack in the Pulpit - one of my favourite wild flowers - I know spring is coming when I see the first shoots pushing up through the earth. 

A fascinating plant which traps insects in order to pollinate itself and produce its beautiful scarlet berries http://stewkley.org/wildlife/flowers/flw.cuckoopint.htm 

As children we were told it was poisonous and it's so easily identifiable, even to a child, so we never ever touched it. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I have lots 

lots and lotsimage

When we arrived at our overgrown jungle there were a few wild plants I didn't want to lose. This one and figwort amongst them. So I nurtured them.

As we cleared the jungle years of seeds started germinating

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

I have the both the variegated one - arum italicum and the wild one - one I planted and one that planted itself!

Those variegated ones get about a bit as well don't theyimage

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Yes, the birds spread them around!!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Like nutcutlet, when I took over 'temporary stewardship' of this once overgrown patch, there was one growing in a corner, so I looked after it, having a penchant for wild flowers.  Now I find it everywhere, despite always disposing of the red spikes of seeds before they went soft and start to fall.  Like celandine, once you have this, you have it forever!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.