Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID please

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Hello

I wondered if you could help ID this plant, someone has said it is Aconitum and is poisonous.

Is anyone able to confirm if this is the case or if not what it might be. 

Thank you

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Yes, it's aconitum and yes it is poisonous but so are most plants grown in gardens so that is no reason not to grow such a beautiful plant.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • neznez Posts: 15

Yes! it looks like Wild monkshood

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I've just seen a gardener died last year from touching it without gloves.  My friend has children, should I recommend for her to get rid of it.  Not sure I'd want it and it isn't at the back of a border it is just at the end of the lawn.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

The gardens that we visited on Monday at Bressingham were full of aconitum - beautiful - the gardens there are open to the public and also have miniature railways, fairground rides and other attractions for children.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

ok good to know, thank you.

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184
    Peanuts3 wrote (see)

I've just seen a gardener died last year from touching it without gloves.

Just as a follow up to this, did anyone else read the coroner's verdict in the news about a month ago? It didn't really get as much press as the initial story. Here's a clip from...

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2015-06-24/mystery-surrounds-death-of-hampshire-gardener/

North Hampshire coroner Andrew Bradley recorded an open verdict and said: "When I first picked up this case, I was under the impression Nathan had handled it."

"He did not actually handle the plant. In my view, it is not sufficient to find aconite poisoning."

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

My daughter would die if she ate a  peanut, it doesn't mean everyone else will.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

it looks like A. Hemsleyanum which I've grown on a pergola for many years in a previous garden . I'm still here to tell the tale and the garden isn't littered with dead bodies.

Devon.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Back to this old chestnut again!

Just dead headed dozens of stems of all our different Aconitums, my heart is still beating at its normal rate.

Five children and seven grandchildren and a garden full of poisonous plants. We have not lost one yet! (Child that is, lost a lot of plants over the years!)

Notice no-one worried about the acres of Foxgloves which are just as poisonous!

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Very true about foxgloves Berghill, I was pulling some up only this morning without gloves.