Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID please!

katvetkatvet Posts: 45

Any ideas what this it? I've got a few of these scattered around the garden. I've been watching them all year and they never seem to develop any flowers just these large 'pod' type things (about two inches long) full of large round orange ?seeds? Thanks!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

iris feotidissima ?

Devon.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Possibly Iiris foetidissima, Gladwyn or Stinking Iris. The flowers are a bit nondescript so easy to miss.

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

I think it's a Yellow Flag Iris - British native plant 

Three for one!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

snap Berghill.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Iris foetidissima - you've missed the flowers - probably 'cos they're not very flamboyant - but it's a great plant - I love it image

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3293722/In-focus-Iris-foetidissima.html

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Serves me right for getting up and welcoming OH home from work before I hit Submit image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• katvetkatvet Posts: 45

Thanks Bergill, just 'Googled' your answer and that's definitely it. I did see flowers like that earlier in the year, but didn't look very closely and assumed they were iris growing from bulbs near this plant! Do I leave it be or do I cut back to stalks with seed pods? It's in a fairly bleak spot of garden so I don't mind if it wants to spread!

Believe me it will spread! Leave the seeds if you want more.Birds will put them all over the place for you.