Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID please

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knew this one? I suspect it's a seed from one of my hen's treat boxes but I googled the ingredients and couldn't find it...

I haven't been wanting to ask in case it's a sunflower or somethingimage But I would really like to knowimage

Wearside, England.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Looks like Coreopsis.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • I wondered that about the flower Yvie but I was put off by the size and speedy appearance - do they generally get so big?

Wearside, England.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Try birdseed, Niger

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I'd also say it's a tickseed of some kind, maybe Coreopsis lanceolata which is one of the weedy ones.

Edit: I think Nut has it (as usual!) image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

• Ha! How cool, I would never have guessed that. I've had a few spillages (faulty feeder) and nothing has ever grown but that one.

Very impressed! Thank youimage

Wearside, England.
  • hi, I think it is Coreopsis too.  I have it with other bright colours, orange cosmos and geum and it looks fantastic at the edge of a hot bed.

I'll stick with the niger, image

• The coreopsis in your picture looks lovely with the butterfly, mulberry badgerimage 

I have a couple of the perennial types and somebody sent me some coreopsis tinctoria seeds which have been lovely this year.

I looked up the name guizotia abyssinica to look up images of the Niger plant and am certain that is what has seeded.image

Wearside, England.