London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
21 to 40 of 73 messages
14/04/2014 at 22:10

That sounds good. I have always fancied an apple tree. The other reason I'm a bit sad about this, is that from a sitting point in the garden, this tree was what blocks out other houses and next door neighbour as it's right against the fence. I hope I can afford something of a good size. Would I have to get all the roots out too?

It's now dawning on me that the giant tree just behind our gardens is probably a sycamore, which will keep casting it's seed down. Cheers for the advice!

14/04/2014 at 22:30

We haven't got sycamores but do have a large walnut tree next door and very active squirrels who use our garden as useful place to bury nuts in -result lots of little walnut trees in my borders, usually where I can't reach them easily.

I agree with the others though, the sycamores have got to come out asap. Another tree causing problems, because it's so pretty when young, is eucalyptus which can get enormous.

Regarding the amelanchier, we've got alkaline soil but mine seems to be doing okay, full of blossom right now after its second winter.

14/04/2014 at 22:35

Here's one of mine from last summer Jack :

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P9270834_zps4d63530d.jpg

14/04/2014 at 23:02

Think I really do know this one.... 5 is lamb's lettuce,  mâché, corn salad, different names,but same thing. It is a useful winter salad plant but doesn't taste of very much and seeds itself everywhere.  It has gone over with little blue flowers and then seed.  Ate some for supper this evening!

14/04/2014 at 23:31

Jack.

Much the same as our friends.

1.Dogwood.  2.Deutzia.  3 Sycamore.  4 Sycamore.  5 ?  6  Myosotis.  7 ? vibernum.

15/04/2014 at 20:45

Thanks Lizzie, I'm going to wait until I find a replacement before I start chopping though.

Thanks Fairygirl, nice picture and tree, yes an apple tree is definitely something I'm considering, next door has got a nice big one, with large red apples and I was quite jealous seeing it 

Thank you Hester, yes I just google imaged that and it seems to be that. Interesting, don't know where it came from or how it got in that pot.

Mike, hope you are doing ok, don't know whether you missed my replies in posts, or whether you got my message.

Another tree I'd like is a Silver Birch but don't know whether that is suitable for my garden.

Has anyone got any advice for taking out sycamore's or is it just a case of sawing them to the ground?

16/04/2014 at 06:22

Have you got a photo of the trunk/base of the tree, Jack?

16/04/2014 at 08:08

Stick with the apple Jack, silver birches are great, but none of the big trees are suitable for  gardens unless you've got an acre or 2

16/04/2014 at 13:08

Having an absolute nightmare with Sycamore's myself. There are literally hundreds or baby ones, everywhere! Its backbreaking getting them all out. And then I swear they grow back overnight! Nasty persistent little things they are. Will be hoiking more out tonight. And tomorrow night. And the night after that...

16/04/2014 at 13:42

I have those as well Heather.

and ash

and field maple

and some acer thing that we downed last month.

But never birch, though we have birches that seem to scatter seed

16/04/2014 at 15:28

I am having a abundance of baby trees this year too Nut, in addition to the Sycamores, whether I want them or not! The hoiking out continues...

16/04/2014 at 15:46

Full time job Heather

16/04/2014 at 19:39

Yes Dove, This is the biggest one, about 15ft tall and the base is made of a few trunks of only about 6 to 8incs diameter.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/JoelDeee/DSCF0103.jpg

Thanks Nutcutlet, I am going tree/bush/shrub buying on Friday  I had to sacrifice buying a shed so that I could get one.  But looking forward to going round the GC's . If I can find something that will adequately fill that gap then it will come down. Still need to know how to get rid of them though???

I know what you mean Heather! I have noticed three more little ones poking through the hedges. 

16/04/2014 at 21:37

I should think that's been cut back before Jack.

You can cut them off and drill holes in the stump and put RootOut in to kill the stump. If RootOut no longer exists there'll be something available for stump killing. If you can afford it you can get the stump-grinders in

17/04/2014 at 17:29

Jack 3.. you appear to have all your questions answered. I have a question for you. I love the look of your syringa. I've seen a similiar one in somebody's garden but diden't have the nerve to knock on the door to ask!!! What is the name of your syringa? What is its height. Thanks.

17/04/2014 at 18:44

I can answer that one if Jack's not about. Syringa meyeri 'Palibin'

17/04/2014 at 19:07

Thank you nutcutlet again.  So I'm assuming if the stump stays in, it will regrow?

How long do you reckon it would take for this size tree to become a problem that I can't fix myself. For instance if I left it in another year and got rid next spring would it be much worse a task than now?

I'm going to pull the little ones out whilst they are still easy to manage, I think.

Fluffy Cloud, (now I have The Orb music in my head) Nutcutlet identified that one for me on another thread, it is Syringa meyeri 'Palibin'. It is about 2 and a half to three foot tall at the moment. When I inherited it, it was a little dead looking thing in a pot, this was about nine months ago, I just stuck it in the ground and now it's flourishing. There's lots of new flowers coming out on it every day.

Thanks all!

17/04/2014 at 19:19

It will regrow,, that's coppicing, an old woodland management technique.

Has it got 2 stems from one plant? It looks like it in the pic. You could cut one back and some more will grow in its place. Let one of those grow and then cut the other big one back.

In the meantime work on getting something more garden-friendly than a sycamore

17/04/2014 at 19:26

Thanks nutcutlet. Yes two stems on the one plant. I'll see how it goes, I'm probably being too sentimental, because when we moved to this house I was happy I had a tree. Tomorrow my happy bank holiday weekend starts with some trips to nurseries and garden centres, I'll see what I can get.

I had heard about coppicing, I just didn't know whether it only worked for certain trees. Thanks again for all the advice.

17/04/2014 at 20:41

..I might just give an alternative identification for the Syringa as I don't believe it's meyeri Palibin... I have this one and the flowers are a lighter colour and the leaves are more rounded... it's also a much smaller shrub....  the one highlighted here on page 1 is already 3 foot tall and promises to be a taller plant...the flowers are darker pink and the leaves more elongated... so I think it's Syringa microphylla or to give it it's full name, Syringa pubescens subsp. microphylla 'Superba'....

...I think it's nicer than Palibin to be honest... see what you think...

21 to 40 of 73 messages