London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
41 to 60 of 73 messages
17/04/2014 at 21:08

Oh, Salino, I'll have to look at that. In the other thread Nutcutlet suggested two it may be, and this was going by a picture where it had few leaves and no flowers. I saw a syringa in the GC which looked identical to mine, which was the meyeri. So if it's a wrong ID the fault is mine. I'll have to take a look at both. Thanks for the input.

18/04/2014 at 17:03

I just went out and bought some plants from the local nursery. I don't know whether I got over excited and made the wrong decisions. I got Malus Royalty, Crataegus and Prunus chocolate Ice. I didn't realise the Malus Royalty got so big as what I'm seeing now on the internet. The people couldn't deliver until Thursday so I have time to go back and change my mind on that one.

Also go a lovely six foot thick red robin bush, which I've wanted one of for ages.

18/04/2014 at 17:15

All three of them are lovely, but will grow into fairly big trees - where were you thinking of planting them?

18/04/2014 at 17:19

Two were going to be on the right hand side of my garden where I am to cut down the sycamore now. The other at the left hand side.

18/04/2014 at 18:06

I'm starting to have second thoughts. It's as if my eyes glazed over and I went into a plant addicted haze and took leave of my senses. I just looked at these trees and was like, these look beautiful, they will fill the gap made by that sycamore I'm about to take out. Now I don't know if they are going to be too big. I'm such an idiot. 

18/04/2014 at 18:20

Hi Jack, you need to give them plenty of space for the future. None of them will look as impressive if they're squashed by another. Then you need to think about the amount of shade cast in your garden. That might not be a problem, I like shade and shade plants, you might as well

18/04/2014 at 18:28

Ah Nutcutlet, I was going to plant them about a metre away from the fence and was hoping that would be enough. I like shade yes, but we are west facing so I'd get a bit of both. Because the Nursery is only a five minute drive away, I was considering going back and changing my mind, not sure yet though. I really want the hawthorn.

18/04/2014 at 19:04

Thanks nutcutlet and Jack 3. On my list of 'would like to have'.

18/04/2014 at 19:26

Hawthorn is an excellent choice. Very reliable and good for wildlife. It lends itself to pruning and general hacking about far better than the other two. 

18/04/2014 at 19:51

Thanks Nutcutlet, I'm going to keep the Hawthorn and maybe exchange the other two. I should have listened to the good people on here, I'll have a look at apple trees. There was also a nice tall cotoneaster which caught my eye.

18/04/2014 at 20:11

I'd leave the cotoneaster and go with the apple.

19/04/2014 at 13:54

Okey doke.

Sorry for all the questions but I was wondering... The crataegus that I bought is over ten feet tall, tree like, thinish, and I wanted to know if I planted this about a metre away from the fence could it be trimmed when necessary and kept in check?

19/04/2014 at 13:58

Hi Jack, yes, Crataegus will trim up fine. 

19/04/2014 at 14:26

Ah, thank you, that is a relief to know! I can't believe is was so stupid and just bought three trees because of how they looked now, without thinking properly about the future. Well you live and learn.

The other two trees are going to be exchanged. I'm thinking now of some wildlife friendly hedging or bush/shrub.

19/04/2014 at 15:56
Jack 3 wrote (see)

..........I can't believe is was so stupid and just bought three trees because of how they looked now, without thinking properly about the future. Well you live and learn...........

That's how garden centres make their money - they make the plants look so tempting   How many times have you read that one of us has gone to the GC for come compost and come back with a car load of plants 

19/04/2014 at 16:19

I know Dove, what are we like.. I'm a sucker for it, I'm turning into a bit of a plant addict. In the last month alone I've bought, Spirea, Esta, Salix, Pyracantha, Clematis Montana, and a new Rosemary, Not to mention others. This time though I had a particular mission, to get something that would fill a gap to create some privacy from the neighbours garden, so when I sit in my shack, it's secluded, and I didn't even manage to keep to that plan.

19/04/2014 at 16:33
Are you also removing all the sycamore roots?
19/04/2014 at 17:01

..the small trees you've bought are very nice... it ought to be pointed out I think, that it will be many years, perhaps 20 or more, before these trees are at the heights you might see in photos...and even then they're not that big as trees go... I wouldn't worry about it, enjoy them while they're young... as you are... in all probability you will have sold up and moved on long before they reach maturity...

..I've got a Cornus kousa Chinensis in my garden... in about 20 years or so it will push my house over... by which time someone else will have come along and chopped it down.... I shall enjoy it for now...... don't worry about it...

19/04/2014 at 19:35

iGrow, I would be. I'd probably try and dig them out as the tree's are quite young, if that's impossible I'll have to resort to methods mentioned on this thread.

Salino, I like your thinking!  Maybe I just worry too much.

19/04/2014 at 20:14

Don't worry Jack, enjoy it all

41 to 60 of 73 messages