Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID

Hi All,  I moved into a property with an overgrown cottage garden.  I have been having problems identifying a few plants.  Please can you help, plus any suggestions on how to look after them.   Many thanks from a keen but very amateur gardener. image

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

1. Fritillaria Meleagris

Other 2 look familiar but names arent coming to me.

Someone else will come along shortly to help image

• The first is a fritillary, one of my faves, I just leave them be, allow them to self seed and soon you'll have a colony.   Do watch out for lily beetles though, mine have been decimated this year as I was away for a week - subsequently squished more than 20!

Can't help on 2 as eyes not good enough.

3 might be aramis but really not sure.

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

no1 is a snakeshead fritillary, don't know No2 but I like it and I don't know No3, sorry, not a lot of help.

• Hi Sarah,

1 is a snakes head fritillary. its a bulb, I don't know about care, I don't give mine any image

The others I don't know, sorry.

Vic

Wearside, England.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

No. 3 Yellow = celandine and pink could be ladies smock.

Agree with the others on No. 1

Can't make out No. 2

• Yes! Think Forester2 is rightimage

Ladies smock has different stem leaves to basal leaves image

Wearside, England.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

No. 1.  Snakeshed fritillary - a flower of old damp meadows, rare in the wild.

No. 2 is Lathyrus vernus - spring vetchling - a lovely thing. 

No. 3 is Cardamine pratensis also known as Ladies Smock and Cuckoo Flower - another lovely flower of old damp meadows, getting quite rare in the wild. 

You've got some quite special things in your garden - lucky you image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

2 is Lathyrus vernus, spring pea. sorry like Victoria, mine don't get any care. They just comes up every yearimage

I think 3 is Cardamine pratensis, cuckoo flower. I'm interested in that little cyclamen to the right of it. I haven't got any cyclamen flowering right now, Do you, or does anyone else, know which one it is?

In the sticks near Peterborough

What do you reckon that cyclamen is Dove?

I forgot about the care. 1 and 3 like it damp, they're water meadow natives