Start a new thread

1 to 17 of 17 replies

Plants

Plant ID

Mystery plant at the bottom of my garden. I've never seen this before and it isn't something I planted.

Jump to latest post

1 to 17 of 17 replies

Gardenmaiden

Forgot to add that its between 3-4 foot tall.

fidgetbones
Francoa sonchifolia also known as bridal wreath. There should be a rosette of broad leaves at the base, and then it throws up the flowering spikes.
Dovefromabove
Could it be an eremurus - Foxtail Lily?
nutcutlet

I can see the francoa leaves

Advertisement

nutcutlet

I can't get it through winter in a reliable way Dove. Pretty though

Berghill

Dead easy from seed too.

fidgetbones
I've got a couple I grew from seed, but its taken a couple of years for them to get going. I dont know how its suddenly appeared,Gardenmaiden. Its not an avid seeder like poppies.
Gardenmaiden

Wow, thanks guys.. Its growing in a gap between a raised bed and a hawthorn hedge. I will keep an eye on it and try to save some seed and if I get enough, will share.

hogweed

I grew it from seed 3-4 years ago. It does really well in my garden regardless of where it is. I divide it up every couple of years to get new plants. Mine isn't in flower yet although the flower spikes are there. Central Scotland.

Gardenmaiden

I'm going to see if its more than one plant, and if it is I will move one and if it survives I'll move the rest after collecting seed. I've no idea how it got into my garden and I haven't seen it growing in any neighbouring ones.

Iamweedy

That is a very lucky find. I bought the last one in the GC  at the end of August. 

I have collected seed from mine. When should I sow them. I think I have left it a bit late now.

Advertisement

hogweed

It is quite hardy here in Scotland. It is more or less evergreen. I have it both in sun and shade.