Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID

I first saw this flower in eastern France some years ago. I collected seeds (in small thin pods) last Summer in Chambery and have grown about 10 plants. Silly really as I now have to look after them indoors (no greenhouse.)  they come in various colours.  

http://webkit-fake-url://E902B7D7-22E5-4462-8A1F-B69B37721D9D/imagejpeg

• Sorry, posted too soon. My neighbour has an unseated shed/greenhouse with shelf and large sloping window. Would these be ok in there if hardened off during the day in the garden? I live on the south coast so usually quite temperate. This is not allowing me to backspace. For unseated read unheated!

• Has photo appeared? It's there ok on my screen.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Not on mine Lyn.did you click on the little tree icon on your toolbar at the top of the posting box?

I dont think you can post a piccy from an iphone.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• It's not an iPhone it's an iPad. Will try again!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think that's a cleome. I've never grown them but I've seen them aroundimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I always grow Cleome as annuals, sow seeds in March/April time, harden off plant out end of May, not very hardy so make sure al signs of frosts over.

If I were you Lyn, I would cut the losses and sow them in the Spring.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Yes cleome - they can be quite spectacular but definitely an annual - I seem to remember they were a bit prickly too.

Good luck.

• Definately cleome (aka spider flower eww!)  went to France this September, (to see monets garden and chateau villandry-never been before absolutely amazing btw!) they are everywhere over there, in all the town gardens, really long lasting flowers. 

• TooeyTooey Posts: 95

Yes it's definitely a cleome. I grew some purple ones from seed this year and they are stunning plants but as gardenning granny says they are rather prickly