Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID

ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Hi guys, had this from a friend today but neither of us know what it is. The leaves feel kind of rough if that helps.

I cant seem to post a photo the normal way, I always get an error message

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/mattbeer87/DSCF7840_zpsjykeb7z0.jpg

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Are the leaves triangular in cross section? It looks terribly like  a Sedge. Carex pendula.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That was my first thought as well Berghill,  but there are too many reflections to be sure of that rib down the back

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Is it worth potting it up and waiting to see if it flowers?

It depends on your garden and what you like matt. It's quite attractive in its way for a large or wild garden but seeds about and takes some digging up on heavy soils.

If it is Carex pendula it won't need cosseting.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I think its the bin for it :P

My garden isnt small but I like a lot of plants and this one doesnt fit, although I had some lovely oxslips from my plant swapping too image

and it's bigimage Oxslip sounds better.

• GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

That exact same plant has appeared in my garden too.  I have two of them.  I have potted them up as I liked the shape even though I had no idea what they were.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

It was only allowed to flower once here, about 18 years ago and I am still digging out newly grown ones every year.