Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID

BlondmopBlondmop Posts: 5

Can anyone help ID this plant please.  I have had it a few years growing in the same spot but this year it appears to have 'flowers/grassy heads'.  Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's a sedge.

Precisely which one I can't say. How big is it?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • BlondmopBlondmop Posts: 5

It's about 2 feet high and spread.  I cannot remember where it even came from.

It had only green leaves until this spring.  I will look that up now thanks very much.

Carex pendula  -  pendulous sedge

- yes this is it.  It says it likes wet conditions but it is growing in one of the driest parts of the garden.  Thanks again

It seeds everywhere. It would probably have flowered before in a wetter spot and been taller than 2 foot.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

It can be monstrously difficult to dig out image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Yes Doveimage

Oh ok thanks for that it has just been filling space up to now but am redoing this area of the garden so will take a good look at it.  Thanks both

• debs20debs20 Posts: 39

Wow...thank goodness, I've been looking for this ID. I have 4 in my garden in damp areas and 1 in dry full sun. They are all a nightmare to try and remove, I'm concerned one near a short wall may knock it down in time...its 2 x 2 ft. I did manage to dig up the smallest one (1 x 1ft), split it in two and put in pots and they look great.

I will try again to remove the others over the next few weeks...literally.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

At least a decent weed killer will remove it. It also does not have persistent roots like couch grass. Mind we have not allowed it   to grow or flower here for 20 years and still we get seedlings coming up. There is none that we can see in the fields around us either. So be warned, do not let it flower.