Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant identies

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 975

Hi there

Got 135 plug plants from a Wowcher deal about 2 months ago. When they came they were very tiny micro plugs,which I wasn't expecting. They outgrew the pots so I separated them, and now some of them seem to be outgrowing the pots again. I only separated them last week and they are growing really fast. I don't know what they are. There seems to be three types. These, which are growing very big:

imageimageimage

And these:

I have even more containers of all of these as there are so many. I am thinking I might just put them in ground as bedding now, as they are getting big and I have finished making my baskets for the summer. Are the first lot petunias? If so does anyone know what variety? Are the latter begonias and impatiens? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 975

Apologies the photos have uploaded upside down. But you can still see the plant hopefully.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

1. Looks like Nicotiniana.

3. Begonia.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Bottom one four begonias and two impatiens.

Oh, so are the first lot nicotiana then? I have been all this time thinking they were petunias. I have googled leaves of both and they don't seem to be rounded like these. When do you think these might flower?  

• Flowerlover3Flowerlover3 Posts: 219

I thought 1 might be pansies? and the lighter leaved two in the corners of 3 may be bedding fuchsias?The darker leaved ones look like begonias. Were they not labelled or named at all when you bought them?

Flowerlover3 says:

I thought 1 might be pansies? and the lighter leaved two in the corners of 3 may be bedding fuchsias?The darker leaved ones look like begonias. Were they not labelled or named at all when you bought them?

See original post

Glad to have got another different idea. I felt the big ones are not petunias so may be they are pansies. But when googling pics of pansy leaves they do not look like this either!!

No it was a lucky dip - I had a £10 voucher to use up before end of April and I thought 135 bedding plants for £9.99 seemed really good (if not an excessive amount for 5 baskets!). I thought I'd give some away to friends. But when they came they were miniscule micro plugs, even more unrecognisable to my untrained gardening eyes than how they are now.

I just wonder when they'll flower. There were no labels at all. I just looked back at the original advert and it just says lucky dip mix from:

Salvia Plants - Firecracker
    Impatiens Plants - F1 Select Mix
    Petunia Plants - F1 Select Mix
    Antirrhinum Plants - F1 Kim Mix
    Stock Plants - Sugar & Spice
    Petunia Plants - F1 Duo Double Mix
    Cineraria Plants - Silverdust
    Nicotiana Plants - F1 Perfume Mix
    Gazania Plants - Daybreak Mix
    Begonia Plants - F1 President
    Begonia Plants - F1 Ambassador Mix
    Lobelia Trailing Plants - Cascade Mix

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Not pansies. Look more like petunias.

I have separated them several times. How big do you think these will get, whatever they are?! I cannot keep repotting them, no time! Shall I just put them in the ground? Some of these pots are getting a bit crowded aren't they?

THANK YOU PANSYFACE. I AM REPLYING IN CAPITALS. I REALLY DO WONDER WHEN THESE WILL FLOWER. THERE ARE NO BUDS ON THEM. I WILL STICK THEM IN THE GROUND I THINK. SOME PEOPLE ARE SAYING PETUNIAS AND SOME ARE SAYING NICOTANIA.

• I think they are Nicotiana too, they look just like mine;  I planted them out two weeks ago and some are just starting to send up flower stalks, so yours will do soon as well. They will flower July onwards  hopefully.