Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant identification for new Gardner

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to Gardening as well.

I bought a house last year in September and is trying to figure out the plants that are already in the garden.

As i don't have much experience i don't know what is what and how to take care of it.

I will also like to know what can i plant as a beginner in the garden which will add colour to the garden.

I have taken pictures of the plants but the forum is not letting me upload them.

Thanks in advance

Mansimran Singh 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi Mansimran, welcome to the forumimage

on a PC you start with the little tree in the tool bar to upload pics. Doesn't work with phones. Some people upload to one of the photo storage sites and post a link

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    There are plenty of annual flowers that you can plant that will add colour this summer. Calendula grows really easily as does nigella. Nasturtiums are beautiful and bright and will romp all over the place. You can plant hardy geraniums which will give you flowers year after year.

Have a trawl through the online seed catalogues but bear in mind that success cannot be guaranteed. Every gardener has failures (too many) but you will eventually find out what grows well in your plot.

You can use pelargoniums (geraniums) and fuchsias and petunias in tubs along with a vast array of plants that will set them off nicely. A trip to the garden centre with your credit card is the next step.
  • Thanks Nutcutlet and Ceres. 

I tried uploading pictures through the icon but it didnt work. I have uploaded them on the following link now

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/Mansimran_Singh/library/

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

Hi Mansimran,

1st pic- looks like you have three plants here, the top looks like a pittosporum, the middle plant is a polyanthus and you also have an opium poppy at the right corner.

2nd pic - strawberries

3rd pic - might be a hydrangea

4th pic - bulb, not sure what kind

5th pic - don't know

6th pic - think its a weed

7th pic - bluebell

8th pic - might be crocosmia

9th pic - euonymus

10th pic - might be epimedium

11th pic - sedum

12th pic - epimedium and sedum

13th pic - variegated ivy and possibly blind daffodils

14th pic - variegated ivy

15th pic - centaurea

16th pic - germinated seeds but you will have to let them get bigger for identification

17th pic - same as 16th

18th pic - euonymus/pittosporum

19th pic - violas

20th pic - pink flower could be dianthus

21st pic - dianthus

22nd pic - cyclamen

I might have some wrong but the good thing is, a lot more people will know what your plants are.

• WOW! That's great Gardenmaiden. 

Really appreciate the help. I am most happy about the Strawberry plant. Any special care tips for Strawberries?

Thanks.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

1. agree withGm except I think the shrub is a euonymus 

2 agree,

3, agrre

4, 5 might be a lilies

6, 7 agree

8, crocosmia or daylily

9, Euonymus, probably Emerald and Gold

10, epimedium - no doubt

11- 14 agree with Gm

15 Centaurea montana

16 these seedlings could be some sort of poppy

18. Euonymus, this is reverting to green, If you want variegation cut out the green

19, 20, 21, agree, the dianthus might be sweet williams

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    You have a lovely selection of plants there and the euonymus is one of my favourites for all year colour. They are particularly gorgeous in Spring when the new growth arrives.
  • Keep on top of the ivy as it can grow quickly. Best time to prune is spring. 

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

Make your photo smaller and you'll be able to upload it.  There's a limit on the size of the photo uploadable.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

You could plant your strawberries in the ground if you have the space. If they are happy you will get lots of runners which will become baby plants.