London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
09/08/2014 at 12:38
I recently moved house and have this plant in my garden that is starting to grow rather large... I am unsure what it is thus I have no idea how to maintain it/control it's size. Anybody able to help? It's like a large spider plant I guess.
09/08/2014 at 12:40

I think you would need to load up a photo before anyone can really help.

09/08/2014 at 12:40

Need a picture davey, click on the green tree icon on the toolbar to post a picture. It doesn't work from mobiles though.

09/08/2014 at 12:50

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55871.jpeg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

Sorry, I had put a link in my original post but it was automatically removed.

09/08/2014 at 13:03

Is it called a Yucca?

09/08/2014 at 13:27

Looks like a Yucca but may be a cordyline or phormium.  No matter which, maintenance is easy - none!  Well, you should to remove dead leaves from the bottom.

Unfortunately there is no way to control their size other than by removal and replacement.  If you trim the leaves shorter they will look awful and slowly die back from the point where you cut the tips off, so avoid that at all costs.

Sometimes they throw off side shoots or suckers appear close to the base and these can be rooted and used to replace the mother plant when it is removed.

09/08/2014 at 13:44
It looks like a cordyline, has it got a thick stem that looks like a trunk? All the yuccas ive seen have wider leaves
09/08/2014 at 13:45

It might be simpler to move the shed 

09/08/2014 at 13:50

Certainly would, Dove!

09/08/2014 at 13:51
Im with Dove! I have one which is a little smaller and it was a nightmare to remove the babies which had sprouted, from what i can tell from the one in my garden they are pretty jard to kill so you should be able to remove all the extra bits and take it back to one stem and its greenery without much worry, the bits you take of may well root too
09/08/2014 at 13:56

Or even cut the whole thing down to the ground.  It will almost certainly send up new shoots and will take up to 10 years to get that large again.

09/08/2014 at 15:47
That sounds more preferable Bob, thanks for all the input everybody. Unfortunately, I don't think the shed would withstand being moved (looking to replace it in the next year or so).

While I do like the plant, I don't particularly appreciate the soaking I get when I go in the shed after it has rained or on a dewy morning! I think we will reposition the new shed well away from the plant when we get it!
09/08/2014 at 16:00
Do you think you might consider digging the whole thing up? You could replant or pit up, it is a pretty spectacular plant, would look amazing in a half barrel, underplanted with orange or red flowers

I have to be honest, i wouldnt fancy digging it up
09/08/2014 at 18:42
I would but I've no idea about digging up such things. I'm no gardener by any stretch. The bed around the plant is filled with pebbles. I'm gathering I'd have to rake them all back, then start the digging. How far from the base of the plant should I put the spade in? Or should I gradually rake the soil away from the base of the plant to find out? As I say, I am absolutely clueless lol!
09/08/2014 at 19:29

Not a Phormium but a Yucca ( if the leaves have a sharpish tip to them...not all yuccas have stiff leaves ) or a Cordyline.

Your suggestion of gradually raking the soil away from the base will hopefully give you a clue . A reasonable estimate for the root spread would be to start from the point at which the leaves spread out to....the canopy often reflects the root system. 

If you want to transplant rather than dump the plant, you could remove a lot of the lower leaves which would make it easier to deal with and give it a better chance in it's new site.  It does look rather large but as big a root ball as possible and have the new site ready prepared.

Hope you are successful.......looks a nice healthy plant so you should have a good chance of being successful.

09/08/2014 at 19:39
Davey, have you got someone who could help you? A plant that big will ne stupidly heavy to lift, if you can manage it tho, i think it would look really good
09/08/2014 at 19:50

I'm 99.9% certain it's a cordyline. Has been cut back or dead back and this is the resulting regrowth, multiple shoots that'll turn into trucks. Just give it a chance to flower, the scent is amazing and the bees love it

09/08/2014 at 19:59
I was sure it was a cordyline til i walked the dog today and saw an identical one, theleaves are sort of thicker than a cordyline and seem darker, either way is there much difference in treatment?
09/08/2014 at 20:08

Bekkie.........not really much difference tho the Yuccas (except for Y flaccida) have a tendency to stab you if you aren't careful.  Best thing with the Yuccas is to snip off the sharp points as soon as they emerge.....it doesn't have a detrimental effect on the plant and saves possible accidents

09/08/2014 at 20:21
You make a good point bekkie, I hadn't considered it's weight!! I have a location in mind and somebody who could help out. Thanks for sharing your knowledge Bamboogie and philippa. I will get on the laptop and upload a couple more pics I took earlier. The leaves are quite soft with a spiked tip with a fairly uniform colour. Having googled Yucca, Cordyline and Phormium I think the Cordyline looks the closest match.
1 to 20 of 28 messages