Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant Identification

petehaskellpetehaskell Posts: 130

I've had these growing in my garden for many years and despite my best efforts I have been unable to identify them. They are about 750mm tall  and when young the stems have a reddish hue. I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

I could be way out but are they verbena?  If so you would have had an abundance of flowers each year - I have red and white and they don't need to be told twice to get flowering.  I've googled to hopefully find confirmation and this is the BBC plant profile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/961.shtml

It's not often I'm right but I could be wrong again image

• SpitfireSpitfire Posts: 6

I think it a spurge a wild type of euphorbia

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Caper Spurge, I think.  Not to be confused with capers - these are poisonous.

• petehaskellpetehaskell Posts: 130

Thank you so much for the replies. It 's definately Caper Spurge - I just had a look on Google. I should have posted a thread years ago, it's been driving me nuts.

Thanks again

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Definitely caper spurge - if you're going to pull them up wear gloves and long sleeves - if you get the sap on your skin, especially on a sunny day, you'll get huge painful red wheals across your skin - I was quite poorly when as a child I decided to clear an overgrown part of the garden on a very sunny day.

On the plus side - they're supposed to deter moles.  No idea if there's any evidence for it.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• petehaskellpetehaskell Posts: 130

Thanks all