London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
8 messages
21/07/2013 at 15:49

CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THE PLANT WHICH RECENTLY APPEARED IN A PLANT POT PLEASE - THANKS FRED MASON - PIC ATTACHED

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27908.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

21/07/2013 at 15:50

I'm not sure of the name but I know that it speads like billyoh so be careful what you do with it!

21/07/2013 at 15:57

THought it would be a pest - thanks - Fred - i'll wait for a few more comments to see if anyone knows the name, before I get rid of it.

Thanks

21/07/2013 at 16:07

The plant is Oxalis and yes they do spread like wildfire but this one called Iron Cross seems to be very well behaved in my garden.  Keep it in the pot for now and see how it goes.  It will have pink flowers later on, if you like keep if not ditch!  I have another type which has all green leaves and pinky/lilac flowers, pretty but also pretty invasive.  Its a pain, it was in the garden when we moved here 20 years ago and I am still trying to eradicate it! 

21/07/2013 at 16:38

Thanks, I will let it flower and then decide.

Fred Mason

21/07/2013 at 17:01

You are right there BB, my mum had it in her garden and it went everywhere. Funnily enough though I had trouble getting it to down in my garden. I saw the oxalis in the phot in my loc GC the other day, it is very pretty with dark pink/red, don't think it is as invasive as the one. I can never keep it over the winter.

21/07/2013 at 21:45

Yep.

Oxalis and I love 'em !

I think they look lovely even before the pink flowers come (about now).

I've got them in pots on my drive and under my plum tree in the back garden where I let it all go a bit wild.

31/08/2013 at 07:59

I have this in my garden it is aggresive when established but not a real problem, they have little bulbs aswell as looking nice before flowering when they do they produce a very delicate flower stem clustererd with pink flowers. Mine are only about 12" at their highest and grow in a mixed shaded area under and between bushes against a fence so for me they give a nice bit of extra interest in the garden.

Easy to pull out if they get too much, Regards Colin in Alsager Cheshire 

email image
8 messages