Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant IDs please

seacrowsseacrows Posts: 234

Plant number one

Turned up amongst strawberry plants and got potted on from curiosity. Originally thought gooseberry, but no thorns. No raspberries in garden, so that's also unlikely.

Plant number two

Has turned into a tree with pale green bark. I'm stumped.

First attempt at posting photos, so fingers crossed.

• Villaverde123Villaverde123 Posts: 196

Plant number 1 could be a lilac ...

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I think plant no 1 is a raspberry, or at least it is ribes family.

2 has lilac shape leaves, but I cannot enlarge the photo so....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Sorry, delete Ribes (currant), I meant Rubus  (berry)

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

#1 raspberry or close relation for me too - they do grow from seeds in bird droppings.  I also think Lilac for the tree.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

fidgetbones, If you are on a laptop or computer you can (until they sort out the enlarging) use the ctrl button on your keyboard with the + button to enlarge the page, hold down the ctrl button while tapping the + button until it is large enough to see closely, use the ctrl and tap the - button to revert to normal

wish i found a lilac tree in my garden image

• seacrowsseacrows Posts: 234

Ooh, the neighbours have a thornless blackberry, that would be good. I think they have a flowering redcurrant too, though, it could be either. Don't lilacs have darker and shinier leaves? I'll have to wait until there are flowers, or it is clear there won't be flowers.