London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
13 messages
23/06/2013 at 11:45

This plant is as tall as an Allium - single stemmed with a beautiful drop head with 20 or so pinkish small 'bell like' flowers hanging down. Bees love them

I obviously planted them and people ask me what they are - sorry I've totally forgotten!

I would plant them again if only I knew what they are!

23/06/2013 at 11:47

Have you got a photo?

23/06/2013 at 12:04

It could be a foxglove from that description, or a campanula (persicifolia or lactiflora)

Without a photo, I can't really help

23/06/2013 at 12:14

A photo would do it but I'm wondering about Nectoscordium siculum. Might have been the reference to allium that put it in my head

23/06/2013 at 12:18

I thought the same Nut, bell shaped pink, cream and green striped flowers.  Are Nectaroscordum still in the allium family or have they been reclassified?  Seem to remember reading something somewhere.....

23/06/2013 at 12:20

reclassified. I think they were Allium siculum but there's some other word beginning with b that's lurking about in my memory (what's left of it)

23/06/2013 at 12:26

Nectaroscordum bulgaricum?

Did you plant bulbs mutley?

23/06/2013 at 12:27

Thanks nutcutlet - you've solved it - just looked it up and it is Nectoscordium Siculum - so I've put a label on it and now when people enquire (it's our village fete today!) I can tell them or they can look at the label.  Very much appreciated

Mutley

23/06/2013 at 17:00

The big tall one is ok, but the small one is an absolute thug. I have been pouring weedkiller on a section of a rock garden for 2 years now tring to get rid of it. Not sure which one is the smaller of the two species, siculum or bulgaricum, but beware if the label shows it as being about 18 inches tall as opposed to 3 feet tall.

23/06/2013 at 17:09

Never come across the short version but I do really love the tall siculum version and plant more every year.  It's odd though.  Some grow dead straight and others do a serpentine.   I love the flowers and the seed heads too.

23/06/2013 at 17:22

Obelixx

I agree with you they are stunning but they do have to be staked and as you say some 'wander' a produce a snake like stem - still I will let them 'seed' and hopefully I'll get more next year.  I wonder where Berghill lives as it appears she/he has a problem but they have been greatly admired here in the Cotswolds!

Thanks for all the feedback - it's a brilliant website for all us like minded gardeners.

23/06/2013 at 20:36

I have the tall one and it is no problem, just with a smaller version (will try and find a picture). I know I am not the only one to have trouble with it as at least two friends in North Wales both curse the day it entered their lives, or should I say gardens.

Photo will have to wait until the wind drops. The flowers on the thug are more upright than on the other by the way, but exactly the same otherwise.

23/06/2013 at 20:49

mine seed around but I've got plenty of room and no rockery.

email image
13 messages