London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
17 messages
29/04/2013 at 14:30

Vote for Rozanne!!

The RHS are asking us to vote for our plant of the centenary. It's got to be Geranium Rozanne for me.  I have grown it for years and it is a brilliant plant. Flowers all summer, really hardy, great ground cover and lovely blue flowers.

Anyone think otherwise?

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Shows-Events/RHS-Chelsea-Flower-Show/2013/All-Coverage/Articles/Features/Plant-of-the-Centenary

29/04/2013 at 15:57

...yes of course it's a great plant, if a bit of a thug when it get's going, it can swamp plants nearby...

I wouldn't vote for it though due to the controversial legal situation that surrounded it a few years ago, when the breeder of a plant named 'Jolly Bee' was taken to court over plant breeders rights issues by those who bred 'Rozanne' , as Jolly Bee's DNA was found to be ''virtually the same'' as ''Rozanne'' which was bred earlier...'Jolly Bee' had to be withdrawn from sale as a result...

I have both in my garden and to me they are different plants - growth wise, but the flowers are virtually the same...

I would vote for Rose 'Bonica'...

29/04/2013 at 16:26

It would be beyond me a choose a plant of the century. Plant of the week I might manage. This week a tulip 'Ballerina', or maybe it should beTulipa sylvestris

Can't even do plant of the week can I? sorry.

I do like all the above mentioned though

08/05/2013 at 08:26

I see that Geranim  Rozanne has just won an award from the Keukenhoff gardens in Holland, so there are others that like it too!

08/05/2013 at 12:28

I thought the choice of plants to vote for on the RHS site was pretty poor.  I ended up voting for the rhododendron as its diminutive size made rhodos available for people with small gardens and they do look good all year round.

08/05/2013 at 18:11

Good choice obelixx. I agrre that the colours of those rhodos are also something special.

08/05/2013 at 18:50

Sir tid I think jolly bee is better than rozanne....................????

Plant of the century is impossible to identify. At each season a plant stands out but it's "fame" lasts only until the next pretender comes.

08/05/2013 at 19:38

I seem to think that Jolly Bee may be same as Rozanne. Does anyone know for sure or have I got it wrong?

08/05/2013 at 20:38

Sir tid

Yes it is..joke but I'll get my coat.......

08/05/2013 at 21:59

Sorry Verdun, a bit slow!!!!

08/05/2013 at 22:22

...those who have both these Geraniums will usually tell you that they are different plants, with some people preferring one over the other, sometimes relating features to Rozanne that others see in Jolly Bee and vice versa..... which might account for different growing conditions, but even when grown side by side, it seems they're not identical... or it could be plants have been reverse labelled...

I know my Rozanne is the genuine one as it was dug up for me directly from the garden at Blooms of Bressingham - the breeder -  in my presence...  'Jolly Bee' was bought from one of the best nurseries in the country who I would expect to be clear on labelling... and prior to 2010, when selling of Jolly Bee became illegal...

I shall post photos on this thread as the season progresses of both plants, in case anyone is interested and wants to compare...

Here is some background to the dispute, as related by a US nurseryman...

...''Geranium 'Rozanne' was patented in the US on February 25, 1999. Less than a year later, in January 18, 2000, a similar seedling from Holland's Marco Van Noort hit the market, named Geranium 'Jolly Bee' PP. ...

All of us who had grown both varieties, agreed that they were extremely similar, but not exactly the same.

We chose to sell G. 'Rozanne'. Both varieties were issued a US patent, since Van Noort did not include Geranium 'Jolly Bee' as the closest similar variety on his patent application, which he was required to do by law, Blooms of Bressingham, which has the marketing rights to Geranium 'Rozanne' filed a patent infringement suit against Van Noort.

The bitter dispute lasted over seven years, and Van Noort recently gave up after spending over 200,000 Euros. DNA tests showed that the two varieties were indeed similar, but not the same....''

it's a pity it came to that I think... like so many others I would like to have seen both plants still for sale, so gardeners everywhere can make up their own minds...

08/05/2013 at 22:28

I didn't know about that Salino, never heard of Jolly Bee

08/05/2013 at 22:29

..as for plant of the centenary, I have checked the choices on offer, and I would go for Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve'.. it has a longer flowering season than the others, much longer... virtually all year for some people...mine are already in full bloom,  and is so easy to propagate...  the only side effect is that they get leggy and might need frequent replacing... every 2 or 3 years even...

it's also not invasive and just blends in so well without being a thug....

my main gripe here is that garden centres seem to be charging a premium for these plants that are such a doddle to propagate... they should be as cheap as chips don't you think...?

08/05/2013 at 22:42

If one is allowed roses I would go for David Austin's rose "the Pilgrim". My daughter gave me one, a climber, I have it in a large pot and it's shown no sign of disease. I was delighted by it's two tone pale yellow flowers and delicate fragrance.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Busy-Lizzie/IMG_3972_zpsb3722a74.jpg

This is it's 2nd year, it's twice as tall now and a better climber shape.

08/05/2013 at 22:47

When I when to the Eden Project there were lots of Rozanne geraniums and they were a clear blue with white centres, quite bushy plants. I really wanted one but couldn't find one for sale. I've now bought several from 3 different suppliers here in France but they are not the same. Far less vigorous and the colour is more mauve without much of a white centre, if at all.

08/05/2013 at 23:30

Busy, you are only allowed Iceberg rose.  The RHS has picked one plant per decade of new plants introduced at the Chelsea Flower Show in the last 100 years.  You then get to vote for one of those.   Like I said, it's a very poor list IMHO.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/chelsea/potc 

09/05/2013 at 09:45

Thanks Obelixx. I hadn't looked it up, so easy when there's a good link! I don't think I would have chosen any of those plants! Possibly the Rozanne I saw in Cornwall, but not the sort they have here in France. Purple, low growing, not particularly vigorous. How do the French get away with it?

Also possibly the rhodo. I have one in a pot as I have limestone here. Lovely when it flowers, bit gloomy the rest of the year.

email image
17 messages