Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant of the year

fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Mine has been Salvia Amistad. Three cuttings taken this time last year, now as tall as me, been flowering since June and still going strong.imageimage

• Rubeckia Herta Prairie Sun. Been flowering beautifully for months now. I'm going to save seed and sow next spring and dig up and try and over winter the original plant. I'd also add Salvia Wendy's Wish to my star list and Alstromeria Indian Summer has been amazing. I'm loving your salvia fidgetbones, might have to get one of those.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Cosmos, pot marigolds and roses.image

• Ooh Verdun, had to look up your favourite salvia, guanajuato and realized l have one. I bought it this year from a charity plant sale because everyone was going mad for them, and l didn't want to miss out. In truth l didn't know what it was, but the flowers were a magical blue and was much admired. Any tips on getting it through a wet Devonshire winter? My instinct tells me to dig it up and pop in the plastic greenhouse.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Lobelia tupa. Tall red flowers, bit like a Salvia, flowering since August.

Don't know if it will come through the winter though.

S.amistad has also been great for me fidget.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153

Salvia Amistad for me too! A real stunner and much admired by passing folks. 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 347

S. Amistad for me too.  Still going strong in my garden.  Frosts due tonight so that just might put an end to it though. 

I bought a Salvia Dayglow this year, amazing colour flower.Not sure how hardy but took loads of cuttings it seems to be a very strong grower.