Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

plant suggestions for a shady balcony

djjjukdjjjuk Posts: 211

Hi,

i move into a city centre apartment next month. it has a balcony, which only gets sun til around 11am, then its in the shade. its on the second floor, so quite high up and might get a bit of wind.

I'd prefer to grow something edible, but really anything that will thrive in a container in those conditions will do, will help ease the pain of having lost a garden image

suggestions? really open to any ideas, got none in mind or anything specific in mind.

• Other than putting your name down for an allotment, seems to me you'll be eating a lot of lettuce and 'micro salads' with so little sunlight to contend with. You can buy packets of mixed salad leaves, even old peas sown for their shoots are nice.  A growbag, lifted up off the balcony floor somehow would probably work, maybe with a white screen behind to reflect whatever light you have. If its windy a bit of netting, fine mesh, would stop them getting a chill. Still you probably won't be troubled by snails .......

• djjjukdjjjuk Posts: 211

i love lettuce so thats not so bad image i have actually got a list of allotments and numbers from the council. once i move and am settled ill consider putting my name down. im a little worried on time though. not sure i could commit to going down daily.

i also looked into this, as it will be down the road from where ill be: http://www.edibleeastside.net/rent-a-plot/4576823295

its £8 a month for a 2x1metre raised bed. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

That looks like a brilliant idea - a bit pricey but given the cost of land .... and it's cheaper than going to the gym image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• £8 a month, Mmmmmm expensive for a Yorkshireman!  Have you ever heard of the Landshare folk, bringing together people with gardens and people who want to garden :-

http://www.landshare.net/

Think that Hugh Fearnley River Cottage had summat to do with it ......

I thought £8 was slightly high as well. im wondering as well how much return i would get from a 2x1 metre plot. you can have as many plots as you like. ive asked if there would be a discount if i had say 3 plots.

i eat far more salad, fruit and herbs than i do veg, which may be an issue as fruit would need a fair bit of space compared to vegetables.

had a reply back - its £200 / year for 3 plots, so thats about £5 per 2x1 metre plot ..