Start a new thread

1 to 15 of 15 replies

Hi all, I want to make some of the plant supports that Monty Don makes on Gardeners World. He claims they cost very little (under ??1) but I cannot find the steel to make them. Has anyone found an alternative or found cheap metal to make the supports?
Pete8

Not sure what 'expensive' is but B&Q sell steel rods 1m x 4mm

Pete8

last post wouldn't let me edit...

B&Q rods cost under £2

I dont think 1 metre would do it.
I think they need to be about 2 metres.
I have seen people selling them cheap on eBay so the steel must exist somewhere but the postage puts the price right up.
Just to update incase anyone is going to do this.
I bought some of the reinforcing rod bar from B and Q. I made one with a 2 metre length and made 2 that were one metre. For smaller plants. I found the one metre ones were actually better and so I rebent the 2 metre one back out and turned it into two. Its cheaper to buy threaded bar in future though at ??1.25 a metre from toolstation.

Advertisement

Hi,

Contact your local steel stockholders, as in Worcestershire Steels. 01527 67777. They have 6mm dia ( and more ) 6mtr lengths for £2.00each and will cut them to length.

Last edited: 18 April 2017 14:14:51

TomCranham

Just rang up my local steel stockholder and 2m lengths are 96 pence each!

Definitely solved the conundrum of buying plant supports as the ones in the garden center are so expensive!

TomCranham

I took delivery of some of these yesterday and am happy to report that they work really well. Look smart too imho :)

Lyn
TomCranham says:

Just rang up my local steel stockholder and 2m lengths are 96 pence each!

Definitely solved the conundrum of buying plant supports as the ones in the garden center are so expensive!

See original post

That's a super price, would they do a mail order? We don't have any of those places near here.

TomCranham

I'm not sure about that Lyn, as i work for a local company to them it has never been an issue. No harm in asking though right?. I think with AT they cost around £1.20 each but the lengths of steel came at around 3m so i've cut them to smaller sizes.

The company i used was 'William Twigg (Matlock) Ltd' and they are in Matlock, Derbyshire. The type of steel was 2000mm Ribbed High Yield Rebar Steel. Telephone 01629 56651 and ask for 'steel stores'.

Lyn

Other ends of the country Tom, worth asking though, thank you. Some at 3mts would be good, especially for hollyhocks and helenium.

Fritillary

I bought some  from our local steel supplier.  10 lengths of the 6mm bar which was in 6m lengths. They cut 6 of them in half and the other 4 into thirds so I have ended up with 12  3m. lengths and 12  2m lengths.The cost came to £30.96. This was in October last year.