Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

Hello. I am new to the forums and would like some help in identifying a dailsy like plant/flower. I am pretty sure that I have not sown/planted this myself and would like to know what it is. It seems to form itseld into a small bush and has light green parsley like foliage. Is it an annual or perennial ?

Looking at the leaves it looks like some sort of buttercup family plant or a daisy

It is pretty but me not quite sure

if you do not want some of it I would have some me like

nutcutlet

It does look like feverfew, if you go out and rub the leaves the smell (not scent) is really strong. Check for that to confirm

Yes, thats it. The leaves have the strangest smell, like a chemist shop or like menthol sweets. Interesting to read its a treatment for migraines ! Thanks very much for your help.

Advertisement

If I have a headache then I eat a couple of the leaves, they do taste awful but it does seem to help.

Bookertoo

they taste slightly less nasty if put in a plain bread sandwich - asuming the headache allows you to eat anything.  I believe you can make a tea from feverfew for headaches, but I don't have the correct recipe - might be worth hunting up maybe? 

The yellow leaved type is equally effective for headaches I believe.  Lovely plant too except once you have it you have seedlings for ever.  You could  make a fortune selling these on a stall.........?

In my younger days used to eat carrot tops too believing they were a rich source of vitamins....bitter as anything.....but again mixed into salads were ok

Sorry fat blerk meant to say, welcome to the forum

nutcutlet

Yes, welcome f-b, rude not to say that earlier.

Can't imagine letting feverfew pass my lips

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for all the advice. I made the mistake of eating something after I had rubbed the leaves of the fever few plant, quite disgusting but I guess made into a tea with seven sugars you might be ok. I am going to give it a go next time my head hurts. Cheers !

Fairygirl

Hi fat_blerk(love the name!) Used to grow the yellow leaf one that Verd mentioned but never tried it for headaches- might get some again! That semi double flower is very pretty- much nicer than the common single ones. I think Booker's right about the tea. Try searching Jekka McVicar- the herb lady. She might have info on her site. 

ginagibbs

welcom fat_blerk, just saying hello cos I love the name!!!

Sara 4

Theoretically you can make a flea rinse for dogs from it by infusing the leaves in boiling water and leaving it to cool thoroughly.  (I've never tried it though)