Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planted seeds for the first time

Fionabee2Fionabee2 Posts: 19

Hi folks.

Planted my first ever seeds on Monday (5 days ago) Cerinthe major purpuresent.

Garden centre assistant told me multi purpose compost would suffice, that's what she used. I then had the idea to use cut down kitchen roll tubes as pots for the seeds (I soaked the seeds for 8 hrs before planting) however yesterday some tubes are showing a fine white hairy mould growth. I wiped this away & am now away from home for a couple of nights. Is there anything I can do apart from start again with better compost & yoghurt pots or similar? No seedlings as yet.

Is it enough to just water with water alone or should I use tomato feed (I have some of that)

Many thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi Fiona - it's the main issue with using cardboard tubes, but it isn't a problem other than looking a bit ugly. I don't use cardboard tubes,  as I don't like them anyway, but many people find them useful for things like sweet peas because they allow a good deep root run, and it saves removing the plant from a pot when potting on or planting out.

Seed don't need any feeding as the compost has plenty for them. Excess food at this  stage is counter productive. 

Hope that's of some help image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

No point feeding yet. My compost grew some mould on it this year, I rubbed it off with my finger and potted on the seedlings when they got their true leaves. Doesn't seem to have affected them. If you haven't any flower pots you can use cheap disposable beakers with holes punched in the bottom, but don't give up on the Cerinthe yet, still time to germinate.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.