London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
20 messages
16/09/2013 at 20:58

I've spent the afternoon refreshing my pots, fresh bulb compost and some new tulip bulbs. was feeling really pleased with what I'd done until I saw the "what to do now" section.... it recommends buying tulips now but hold off planting until November!

I guess there won't be much harm done, unless they start trying to grown now. is there any other reason not to plant until November?

16/09/2013 at 21:27

planting late is said to avoid a tulip disease or pest.

I plant mine when it suits me. 

16/09/2013 at 21:39

Lady in local GC advised me (I had similar question but before planting), she said more of a problem if in the ground than in pots, and now should be ok (in pots). She said the trouble was if they put on too much growth early the new roots can get damp and rot before spring.

16/09/2013 at 22:07

I don't plant mine till November, in pots, supposedly to avoid tulip viruses.

17/09/2013 at 08:09

Many thanks for your advice, thankfully just 3 pots with tulips so I'll hold off doing any more until November and keep my fingers crossed we don't get too much rain!

I suppose I could put the pots in the cellar for a couple of weeks to hold them back.

17/09/2013 at 09:26

If you are planting them into new compost they should be fine

17/09/2013 at 09:56

The problem with planting too early is the bulbs tend to grow now as the soil is still warm. The stalks are out all winter and that normally makes them come up blind - I am talking from experience. You really should lift them and leave them for another 6 weeks when it is cooler or you will have wasted the point of having flowering bulbs.

17/09/2013 at 14:51

best to plant while the soil is warm.

17/09/2013 at 15:25

thanks for the advice all

17/09/2013 at 21:40
flowering rose wrote (see)

best to plant while the soil is warm.

That only applies to plants NOT bulbs - unless you want lots of blind bulbs?

17/09/2013 at 23:44

Oh dear, I have of course planted loads of tulip bulbs too early so they'll all be blind and what's more it has been tissing down ever since so they'll probably rot and not come up at all ... another lesson learned, I suppose.

17/09/2013 at 23:46

Always plant out tulips late.  I would hold off until early November. Cold soil is not a problem I think.  

Sara, I'm sure your tulips will be fine despite what's been said.  Leave them now  

18/09/2013 at 13:50

I am going to leave them and hope for the best Verdun, I have so much to do (all at the same time) that I can't bear the thought of having to dig them up and replant them - besides I seem to have forgotten where I put half of them!  (Of course, if they don't come up, I'll never know)

18/09/2013 at 14:27

Sara, I look up Anna Pavord's book for my bulb planting times and much more.  It is called "Bulb" and available in the library.  She advises what to plant them with, the best varieties, what to avoid and when they will flower for lots of kinds of bulb and the illustrations are great.  She has also written a book on Tulips alone.

18/09/2013 at 15:21

I am talking from experience - the bulbs come up early if planted now (around Nov/Dec) esp if it stays mild. That means the stalks are out during the worst of winter in Jan-Mar which often kills the flowering bit and thus you only get leaves for that year. I had a look online and if you mulch early stalks then that might mitigate any problems over the worst of winter.

http://www.tulipworld.com/help/flower-bulb-help.html

19/09/2013 at 09:48

can I ask will this apply to all bulbs or just tulips

James

19/09/2013 at 10:23

Just Tulips, Most other bulbs benefit from being planted now, especially Daffs

19/09/2013 at 10:45

Thank you Matt as it's raining I'm now going to plant some pot up with my Allium 

James

19/09/2013 at 11:52

I'm hoping to get some planting done later this afternoon when the rain clears. So much to do!

19/09/2013 at 23:15

Marion, sorry for late response but that sounds like a really useful book - I am completely mystified about bulbs (hence planting them all at the wrong time) so I will look out for it.  Thank you.

email image
20 messages