London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 11°C
9 messages
21/02/2014 at 14:34

I bought a couple of hybrid tea rose bushes from Lidl and wonder if anyone has general advice for planting and looking after them.

Would putting them in a builders bucket of garden soil be OK at this stage? And how long can they be kept in those packets? My soil is good, with lots of home made compost in it, so I'm sure it's packed with nutrients. Are they likely to flower this year and is fish blood and bone a good fertiliser for roses? I see Aldi will soon be doing boxes of that along with chicken manure pellets.

The stumps are covered in wax (presumably to protect people from thorns) so do I need to remove this or let it all fall off on its own, in which case will flakes of wax be bad for the soil?

I'll want to keep one permanently in a planter, so how big does it need to be? The other I might eventually put in soil when I find a space, but I'm not completely sure yet. For the moment, it'll be a bucket or pot.

I like rose bushes that have quite a bit of a trunk before the leaves and flowers start. Any tips for pruning them to achieve this look, and is it a good idea?

Can I plant daffs, tulips or crocuses around the base of rose bushes?

Any idea how long these bushes might live or other general tips?

21/02/2014 at 17:12

Are they bare root? If so you really need to get them in now. I add Mycorrhizal fungi on the roots. A planting hole about six inches wider than the spread of the roots, incorporate plenty of compost or well rotted manure to the hole and some bonemeal fbb is good but I prefer the bonemeal.

As for the wax dip them in warm water and the wax will melt away.

As for a container it needs to be about 4-6 inches wider than the root spread.

You can heel roses in for a while, then when ready tp plant them soak the roots in water for a few hours, sprinkle the roots with fungi and plant it in a hole so the soil level is just above the graft point.

Roses can be very long lived if fed and watered correctly.

As for underplanting, roses are gross feeders so plant any bulbs a good six inches away from the planting hole. This gives the rose room to spread and hide any yellowing leaves when the bulbs start to die back.

Thick stems will come naturally with age and correct pruning.

You will probably get a lot more advice, plenty of rose growers on here.

21/02/2014 at 17:29

Whatever container you plant them in, bucket, tub or pot, it needs plenty of drainage holes and crocks in the bottom. 

I'd be much happier if you planted them in the ground as Dave has said.  What they need is good loamy garden soil - not light potting compost. 

21/02/2014 at 17:33

I agree with all of the above.

If going into  a bucket, remember it must have holes in it.

Blood, Fish and bone is ok when first planting, but roses need lots of extra potassium during the flowering season.

Roses, like anything else can be grown in pots, but they need to be large and deep, and kept well watered and fed.

21/02/2014 at 20:07

I'd add that it should be planted with the "union" ,( where you can see the top meeting the rootstock) should be planted underground by a few centimetres ( couple of inches) as this encourages the top growth to produce roots of their own ,and also help reduce suckers.

23/02/2014 at 21:05
Dave Morgan wrote (see)

Are they bare root? If so you really need to get them in now.

They came in a plastic-wrapped 'parcel' of soil around the root. Rubber bands close the wrapper around the stem, and the rest of the stem comes out from there, waxed. Judging by the smell, I think they've been grown in soil fertilised with human waste!

I don't expect them to last for months in that small packet, but is there any usual shelf life for them?

Luckily I found a bucket with holes in it already, so one bush will go into that for the time being. The other one I'll have to find a container for at some point.

24/02/2014 at 20:23

Can anyone tell me what the symbol on the left of this photo means:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38238.jpg?width=427&height=350&mode=max

Is that supposed to be a plant pot? The wavy line confuses me.

24/02/2014 at 20:36

Could be either take out bag straight away or dont plant too deep? 

24/02/2014 at 22:32

Most of what needs to be said, has been.  To add.  Usually planting instructions for trees and shrubs is. Place the subject in the center of the hole.  With roses.  It has been found beneficial to actually lean the plant against the side of the hole.  Should the graft be below or above soil level.  There exists a difference of opinion with various gardeners.  More often than not it is thought that in severe cold districts the graft should be, below soil level.  From my experience, I find that there's little to ponder over, as within a short time mulches will be applied and the rootstock will be well buried.  The wax coating can be left on.  It will soon break down.  I have only pointed these bits and bobs out, so that you don't get confused later.

Happy gardening

email image
9 messages