London (change)
Today 18°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
4 messages
12/08/2013 at 08:31

Hello,

A few years ago on the tv show, various brands of dahlia seed were planted with variable results. I recall that one brand of seeds grew well. Unfortunately, I cant remember what they were. Can anyone advise me on a good variety grown from seed?

12/08/2013 at 09:31

I'm pretty sure it was Bishop Of Llandaff Dahlis, tall red flowers on dark foliage. The Bishop's Children are lovely too, a little smaller but similar foliage. I grow them every year.

12/08/2013 at 10:35

Dahlia Imperialis is very easy from seed. They get to around 1 metre in their first year then rocket afterwards. If lucky you get flowers late in autumn - so more foliage/bamboo affect.

12/08/2013 at 12:23

I grow dahlias from seed every year, if you sow them early enough not only will they be in flower by June/July they will also form a tuber for future years.  I have had very good success with Bishop's Children - dark leaves and brightly coloured flowers, Redskin Mixed - dark leaves assorted coloured flowers, Double Extreme Mixed - green leaves assorted colours and this year I have grown Yankee Doodle Dandy which have two toned coloured flowers and green leaves.  None of these are the very tall blousy Dahlia's that you see on allotments with flower heads the size of dinner plates, so you do not have to stake them.  They have daisy like flowers that the bees absolutely love, my garden is full of dahlia's hence it's full of bees and I highly recommend them.

email image
4 messages