London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
9 messages
07/12/2013 at 17:30

Hi everybody

I'm just wondering what the current wisdom is on how deep to plant roses. I was always told that the graft should be above ground level; but more and more, I'm hearing that plants should be put nice and deep in the ground with the graft below the soil to give the whole plant greater stability.

What are you all doing with them these days?

Cheers

Brian

KEF
07/12/2013 at 18:26

I still plant roses with the graft above ground level.

07/12/2013 at 18:30

..I find the graft such an ugly thing to look at.... out of sight preferably, for me..

07/12/2013 at 18:54

I put the graft about an inch below ground - because that is what the David Austin instructions tell me to do.  However magazines I have read over the last month recommend above the ground and level with the ground - so I guess anything goes !!

07/12/2013 at 21:12

There seem to be so many different recommended depths, that in reality it probably does not matter. The more opininions there are on an issue the less we actually know.

07/12/2013 at 22:02

I like to root my own roses from cuttings  and then there is no need to worry about whether to cover the graft

Unfortunately this is not possible with many roses but I think there is some movement for some commercial rose growers  to root  rose cuttings.

Budding and grafting is more for the benefit of the propagator than the grower - those damned suckers !  

In some cases roses lack vigour on their own roots but this is frequently not the case

I am in the deep planting camp but as punkdoc suggests there are few ways you will not succeed with this lovely plant

08/12/2013 at 08:02
One other benefit of planting below the graft is that it gives the plant more stability against wind rock
08/12/2013 at 11:51

I've planted all my roases with the graft below grond level..about 3-4 inches below. No problems so far.

09/12/2013 at 10:10

I always plant the graft below ground . what I've noticed is that I never have a problem with suckers. I did when I planted them above ground

email image
9 messages