Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

planting fruit trees

vic14vic14 Posts: 82
Hi, im getting an apple and a pear tree (dwarf) tomorrow. They are to be planted into big pots. Im just wondering would they benifit from having some fish blood and bone mixed in with the compost? Thanks

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi Vic. I planted a cherry tree last weekend but before doing so I rang into my local bbc gardeners question time with a similar question - my tree has gone into the ground rather than a pot. They advised to put some manure in and some food, but not too much. This was to both help with the moisture of the soil, help prevent freezing and also growth as although trees look dormant right now, they actually have buds which need food even in winter. This will give them a head start in spring.

good luck with it!

• vic14vic14 Posts: 82
    Thanks for the replies both. I have some multi purpose that i was going to use though now i think i will go and buy that john innes compost. Should i stand the trees in a bucket of water until i can get the compost? Sorry for all the questions im new to fruit trees
    They are from thompson and morgan. Its the first time ive ordered from them so im hoping they will be ok. image
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

If you get a delay of more than a few days you can heel in bare root plants. Did this with my cordons and hawthorn, dig a hole big enough and bung them in. Don't firm them down, just cover the roots with soil. As they are dormant they can last like this until you get round to putting them in the ground properly or potting. Still got a few hawthorn like this because I got delayed towards the end of putting them in.image

Thanks gemma. Im hoping to pot them up on saturday. Also whilst im here the soil in my garden seems to be clay. Any advice on what i should definatley NOT plant in clay? Or should i start a new thread?
    I shall do it nnw pansyface image
    Thanks verdun i will definatley go and get the correct compost on saturday. I want my trees to do well. image
  • Mike Allen wrote (see)
    Please Sir/Madams.

All this JI 3 etc. Might I pose as a farmer. I have three thousand fruit trees to plant. Please friends. Could you for one minute think that as such, I would first buy tons of JI No. 3 compost?

Look I am aware that I am not MR Popular on this site but. Hey you folks must be made of money.

Speaking as a member of a farming family - commercial fruit growers in the UK do not grow fruit trees in pots - they select and prepare the land where they are going to plant, putting in correct drainage and incorporate organic matter and fertiliser.  Only then do they plant their orchard. 

They do not plant valuable trees in multi-purpose compost or in unprepared/unsuitable land.  They buy prime agricultural land, the price of which  carries a premium.

The correct preparation of the soil is expensive - so is buying the best quality plants.  A farmer's livelihood depends on their crop and as all farmers know, 'you get out what you put in'.

The equivalent to this for the gardener is to purchase the best quality trees and plant them in the best and most suitable compost that will provide the trees with the soil conditions and nourishment they need. 

MPC will not do that job. 

Also, MPC is so lightweight that in a wind a tree (which by nature is top-heavy) planted in a pot of MPC will be likely to blow over and be damaged. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Fruit trees are here and planted in big pots now. So fingers crossed they will do well image