London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
6 messages
28/03/2013 at 12:26

28/03/2013 at 12:31

With this cold weather and still frosty nights-anything described as tender will not be happy-I think this is not frost -hardy -so needs protection-I would not put it outside yet.

28/03/2013 at 12:34

hi,sorry i am new at this and somehow semmed to have lost me initial post,here it is again:

hi there, i recently bought a large argyranthemum frutescens(white daisy type plant) in my local lidl but i am worried that it is too cold to plant it outside as temperatures at the moment here are 2°C and dropping to -2 at night.at the moment i have it in my kitchen but can anybody advise me whether i can plant it outside or is it best to keep in indoors for a while until the weather warms up.,thanks and i hope someone can help,

vawny

thanks sotongeoff,i was kind of thinking that but i wasnt sure,thanks,i will leave it in my kitchen for now and hope that the weather warms up soon!i just hope it will be happy there!

28/03/2013 at 22:34

Think your argyranthmum will have been grown in a warm poly tunnel!  So be kind and keep it indoors over night, perhaps put it outside in a sheltered sunny spot for an hour or two in the daytime.

You can take cuttings quite easily by cutting off  side shoots,  strip some leaves off stem to give 5-7cm stem to plant around edge of a small pot of potting compost.  Put a plastic bag over(don't let it touch leaves) after watering and keep on a warm windowsill for a month.  When they are growing roots will appear out of bottom of pot,  transplant into individual pots.  I always take a few cuttings of new plants if big enough to take side shoots just as insurance and I like more for my money!!!!!!

28/03/2013 at 23:01
VAWNY,DONT PLANT YOUR ARGYRANTHEMUM OUT NOW.
I would cut it back soon....maybe 2 or 3 weeks....and strike cuttings. They will root quickly and you will have plants of flowering size in mid summer. Your cut back plant will be bushier, sturdier and more floriferous....I guarantee it. It will also take up less room whilst indoors.
Vawny, can you keep it indoors for a while longer. You will lose it even if you put it outside during the day at the moment. Patience here I think
29/03/2013 at 15:17

thank you so much for your advice and tips.i will do my best!ill leave it where it is for as long as i can and follow your advice,thanks again

email image
6 messages