London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
6 messages
20/10/2012 at 16:30

HI COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF I SHOULD PLANT MY HONEYSUCKLE AND CLEMATIS

PLANTS WHICH ARE 12 INCHES TALL IN THE GROUND OR SHOULD I WAIT TILL SPRING TIME IF SO WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE  TO KEEP THE POTS IN THE WINTER THANKS GEORGE
20/10/2012 at 16:43

if you know where they are going, ground prepared, as soil is still warm enough plant now. You could bury pots in ground to insulate them till spring  if you are not ready for them. Put a good mulch on and remember to plant clematis about 3 inches or so deeper than it is in pot.

20/10/2012 at 16:50

Definitely plant them now - there's no point to keeping them in pots. Clematis should be planted about 6" (15cm) deeper than it is in the pot.

20/10/2012 at 17:25

Hello- I've got several clemantis montana plants that were grown from cuttings earlier this year. They are in good size pots and live in a sheltered outside position. The roots have only started to pop through the bottom of the pot.

I was going to leave them in their pots and plant out next Spring? Any advice would be appreciated as I'm so pleased with them

20/10/2012 at 18:03

Since they're only young cuttings you could keep them in pots over winter. Do lag the pots, though - even though they're hardy, they prefer not to have frozen roots.

20/10/2012 at 21:39

Ok, thanks for the advice. I've got some cold frames they can go in.

email image
6 messages