London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
19 messages
Lyn
27/02/2013 at 13:12

Thought I would show a photo of a piece of roadside verge outside our bungalow.My dad started cultivating this bit about 20 years ago, planting a few snowdrops and daffs, I have carried on the tradition and have removed the old privet hedge, replacing with laurels. I planted them last spring, they have made all that growth in one year. I will keep them to about 5 feet high to screen the bungalow from the road. I have taken it along another 8ft or so last year, and as I find more bulbs and turf from digging beds in the main garden I hope to take it all the way down.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19059.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

27/02/2013 at 13:38

Is it just grassy in the summer? 

27/02/2013 at 13:47

Lovely! I wish more people did this - it would improve the environment so much for everyone as well as improving one's own outlook.

27/02/2013 at 14:45

It is lovely to see someone taking a pride in the front of their home and giving a lovely display.Today as I walk my area,most front gardens are taking up for brick drive ways and piles of grit and not a flower in sight.(90% )and only a few gardens with flowers.

27/02/2013 at 17:04

Did you enclose the verge, Lyn?

Lyn
27/02/2013 at 21:00
It is only grass in the summer but I have plans to put hydrangea's all along the other side of the front gate. I did about 20 cuttings last year that are now about a foot high so they should come on nicely and should flower this summer.
We fenced it in but no one minds and I think, maybe wrongly that if you tend the verge for 11 years you can call it yours.
Thank you for your comments
27/02/2013 at 21:31

I found this in the Daily Mail online.

'Normally, a squatter must possess land for 12 years before claiming ownership under adverse possession.

Making a claim has been made more difficult since 2002  -  squatters have to inform the landowner of their intention to claim possession. But if you had already been squatting for the qualifying period before 2002  -  if you enclosed the land before 1990 and have occupied it ever since  -  this will not be necessary.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1348664/HOME-TRUTHS-How-long-I-claim-land-own.html#ixzz2M8ZDn064

We had a house with an extra piece of enclosed land once. We were told that after 12 years, no-one except the owner could claim it from us and that, after 20 years, ecen the erstwhile rightful owner could not reclaim it. 

27/02/2013 at 21:33

Hi Lyn, have a look here for the various ways of 'annexing' land.  As I understand it, one cannot be prosecuted for 'stealing' land, provided all of the rules are followed!

http://www.hip-consultant.co.uk/blog/guide-claiming-ownership-of-land-123/

27/02/2013 at 23:43

Hi Lyn , Assuming your Councils by-laws are the same as where I am from you are responsible for the upkeep of the verges outside your property , Just an observation the chain linking the posts look like a tripping hazard? . Otherwise a very good job .

Derek

28/02/2013 at 07:47

But, if you haven't enclosed it and used it without hindrance, you have no claim on it.

Lyn
28/02/2013 at 13:34

Thats right GG, I wont trip over it Derek, I can take a piece of the chain link off to get in with the mower and no one walks here, just the odd horse rider or tractor. No houses anywhere to be seen.

I think the council probably appreciate some one else tending it or they would have to.

28/02/2013 at 14:02

Your area looks beautifully rural, Lyn. There's a slightly different attitude when all that space is available and I don't suppose anybody wants to park on the verge as they do in towns. Here, it is forbidden to use anything like stones to prevent anyone parking on the verge and people often do it, ploughing up the grass and creating mud and mess with their car wheels.

Lyn
28/02/2013 at 14:04

We did have a couple of escaped cows on it once, thats why we put the chain up. Its enough to stop them.

28/02/2013 at 16:43

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19132.jpg?width=240&height=320&mode=max

Hi all the verge outside of my house the county council have yet to take our estate in charge , the builder was supposed to plant trees but went bust . I did have a problem of cars and trucks parking on the newly sown grass so I bought a weeping cherry which is just coming into bud its abut 9 years old

Derek

28/02/2013 at 16:55

Good idea, Derek. there's a verge outside our bungalow, but our road is really a narrow  old lane and peoplesometimes have no choice but to mount the verge. I have thought of planting the verge, would love to really, since our garden is small, but I suspect that vehicles would continue to use it and dogs would continue to poo on it.

28/02/2013 at 21:00

Lovely pic Lyn. I'm sure loads of people get a lot enjoyment from it when they go past, I know that I would.

Great that you have carried on from your Dad adding a bit at a time and over the years the result is stunning.

There is a bit of land outside my garden that I have planted any spare and unwanted plants in, no doubt I'll add to it to it this year as well. Not had any complaints and as it's on a regular dog walk, if people objected I'm sure I would have heard by now.

A little bit of guerrilla gardening, I'm all for it

01/03/2013 at 09:39

Quite right! It is benefitting the entire neighbourhood.

15/03/2014 at 20:16

I think it looks lovely. Sadly its not always a good idea to garden the verges though. We are having dreadful problems with neighbours along our access lane who have gardened a verge in our narrow lane, put up boulders to show where they think the road stops, and their "new" garden meet. And frequently come and bang on our door, or throw abuse at the drivers if any normal sized delivery van on its way to us drives (unavoidably) over "their" grass. We will not now be able to get a removal lorry down to our house without wrecking their new border. Frankly a removal van is all I want, it has got so bad......

Lyn
16/03/2014 at 00:13

I reallly feel for you there. I would not like neighbours, our nearest is 1-5 miles away, and i havent a clue what they even look like!.

email image
19 messages