London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
5 messages
03/05/2013 at 09:45

I bought a dozen lily bulbs at the flower show 5 days ago, and i know I have to plant them asap, but with my planting plan still evolving, I'm not sure where to place them.  Could I plant them in plastic pots this year, and then, when they are about to flower, plunge the pots into empty spaces in the flower beds?  Then next Spring would the bulbs mind if I take them out of the pots and put them into the borders?

03/05/2013 at 09:53

Morning cottontail

This is exactly,what I do....am doing now

My regale bulbs are large now and they are in 2 or 3 litre pots growing on until I find the exact spot to plant them.

Dont overwater but make sure they do not Out either.

With your new bulbs I would plant individually in 1 litre pots or 3 in these or slightly bigger pots half way down in the compost.  Plant out when you know where you want them. 

Those regale lilies have the most wonderful scent in June and July and look spectacular too

Yes you can dig them up, repot plant out, etc after flowering

03/05/2013 at 10:37

Morning Verdun!  You have answered my question perfectly!  But being a bit of a newbie in some things, can you give me an idea of the size of a 1 litre pot (diameter at top and height)?  I have 3 each of Regale and another trumpet, Pink Perfection, which are huge , and 3 each of the Orientals Marlon and Cyclone (a white one), which are much smaller.

03/05/2013 at 11:07

Hiya happy.....may I call you happy instead of miss cotton tail?

Best is this......put large single bulb in a pot just bit bigger than  the bulb....so that it sits comfortably there with roots spread.  Half fill pot first though.  

Those small bulbs....same principle but if 3 sit comfortably there, touching is ok, then plant 3.  

You can plant out when you like even in flower.

A litre pot is 7" across by about 6" high

Enjoy your garden happy

03/05/2013 at 11:15

Verdun, you're getting cheeky again, do I need to threaten naughty chair time??

Happycottontail, you will find that slugs LOVE lily bulbs, so even in pots I put compost in to the level where you're going to plant them, and then put some sharp sand in around the bulb, then compost on top again, this will help deter slugs.  Copper bands around the top of the pot will also help stop the little critters.

Lilies like to have their roots in shade and their heads in the sun, so make sure that the pots aren't in full sun, as this will make them sulk - you could move them to somewhere in a border with bedding plants in front of the pots, perhaps, and see if you are happy with the effect (this will give you an idea if they 'work' where you're thinking of putting them, too), if not you can always move the pot until you're happy with it.

Keep your eyes open for the dreaded lily beetle, bright red, squash on sight, and look underneath for eggs (bright red also), the grubs are horrible beasties that cover themselves in their own poo for camoflage, and will do untold damage to the lily.

email image
5 messages