Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planting Sunflowers Out Now?

Is is OK to plant out my young Sunflowers now? Or should I wait for end of May when risk of frost is over? I have them in a mini indoor PVC greenhouse at the moment but they have nearly reached the roof of the greenhouse!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Sunflowers are hardy, but if it has been grown soft and with heat, it will need hardening off. Put outside during the day, and leave up against a house wall at night for a few days and then plant out.

• OK. Thanks for your help Fidgetbones. I will do that. image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I was going to ask the same question Angela and thanks Fidget for answer. One more little question, does it matter how big they are?  Mine are still maybe only 2-3 inches tall, should I leave them inside a bit longer or start harden them off?

Thanks.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

You guys must be reading my mind.I've got three that I've hardened off and was wondering when to plant them out.I really do think joining this forum is one of the best things I've ever done,so much help and advice from lovely people.

Me too Fishy, I've learnt so much that I have about a dozen baby sunflowers as they all germinated!!  

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Orchid lady, where do you have them, they don't want heat. protection against rodents would be more necessary. Once they are 6 inch tall, get them outside in a sheltered place.

They are in the GH fidget so quite warm during the day,  I am repotting them on Saturday and then will put them outside during the day I think and back in at night.  The way they are growing it will only be a couple of weeks before they are 6", although some are a smaller variety so will plant them out smaller.  They are going in pots so can out them in the pots pretty soon.

My space between the GH and shed is quite sheltered so a good place for hardening off image